Tuesday 7 May 2019

A cut on Yu's scalp!

Thursday, 2 May, I was attending to Kai's nosebleeding at the dining table when I heard a thud followed by a wail from Yang's room. I dashed in and found Yang standing near his bed looking down at what I presumed was Yu on the floor between the bed and the window.

I went over and could barely see Yu who was partially hidden by the bed, facing down. I grabbed my little rag doll and got a shock when I brought him upright - blood was streaming down his face from his head! He must have landed on the window kerb! :(

As I placed the crying baby in my arms and shouted for tissue and Sito, the blood flowed into his ears. One of the kids probably brought the tissue box in. I couldn't remember. But I remember seeing fresh blood on every fresh piece of tissue and being scared the bleeding wouldn't stop.

N took over to press on the wound while I changed to get him to a doctor. By then, thankfully the bleeding had stopped and he had also stopped crying.So we thought of going to the GP downstairs as that might be faster than A&E. But both the PD and GP staff said that they would have to refer us to the hospital if he required stitching so we cabbed down to NUH anyway.

Took a picture while waiting for the taxi


Yu dozed off in the taxi. But before that, Sito and I were talking about the possibility of stitches and hence GA! Gosh, my poor little baby. I had to use Japanese to tell Sito I was scared of my young baby undergoing GA, coz I didn't want to scare Yu. A third language is useful!

The triage nurse told us, however, that glue might be another option. GLUE! And even if it were to be stitches, he could be given an injection to go to sleep; that would be like what I had for the miscarriage just before we had Yang. Bottomline - no GA! Woohoo!

Triage nurse bandaged him up - he seemed quite pleased!


He also took pictures of us


Maybe coz it was a head injury, we were called in pretty quickly. The doctor was very nice. Our monkey was also a model patient. He let her examine and touch, and didn't whine until the glueing began, as his hair was tugged to cover the cut. So we were supposed to be glad to learn that the cut wasn't too deep - no skull visible *.* And we learnt of a bruise on the right of his forehead too - oops, missed that...

He dozed off on the taxi home again. We bandaged him up at home without waking him, and put him in bed. I slept with him that night. But somehow, the bandage slipped off. He even found and gave me the sticky tape!

Fresh bandage in the morning; he asked to remove it within minutes


Kept him home in case he or his friends scratched the glue off. It was supposed to drop off in a week or so. In the meantime, wash hair gently; we just used water, no soap. I stayed home with him. He was quite a joy when he wasn't asking for video, haha!

Hello, Groot


Happened to be aircon servicing day so he had fun watching the men use the noisy vacuum. We then left the house to buy bread etc while N cleaned up. I wanted to work during his nap time but ended up sleeping with him! Kai woke me, of course...

Day 2 - seems like a perfectly fine baby though it seemed to be itchy


Day 3 - a little red but everything was dry and hard to the touch


He still seems quite conscious about touching his wound. Sometimes he would just say itchy and asked me to blow - coz I blew at it the first time he complained of itch. Well, good that he's not touching it!

As for the cause.... Well, Yu said it was Yang who pushed him. Yang admitted it when I asked him the next day. I took away his video privileges for the rest of the week. Sito said a caning was waiting. Yang was sad :(

I probed further on Saturday on the bus to/from music class - he said they were knights and he pushed Yu. So it seemed like it was an accident during play. So he managed to escape the cane. But I had to talk to him twice about no more playing knights on the bed!! And no pushing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment