Monday 6 April 2020

WFH + school closure = depressing weekend

When I wrote my last post, I certainly did not expect round 2 to last one month!

I was helping my colleagues deliver stuff to SSOs on Friday afternoon after the end of my work day when I saw that the PM was going to address the nation at 4 pm. Even before that, the driver of my second Grab car (who was standing next to me at the void deck when I called the ride!) was telling me that people were rushing to the supermarket already.

Why oh why do such things happen when I want to cook on the weekend?!

Towards the tail end of my tour of duty, I heard from R that our worst fears had come true - school closure!!! I reached home past 4 pm and caught the media conference. For a short while, I wondered if preschools included child care centres.. Wishing against hope!

After that, I was feeling pretty low. WFH + HBL was bad enough. Now the younger ones are going to be home too!

The kids were naughty at dinner time, which irked me a lot. And worst, the wifi went down. Hello, WFH?! I restarted the thing two or three times. Somehow, it worked again. Then Sito was 45 min late for dinner.

Super low.

We went to IKEA to get a desk. Sito was working on the dining table and in bed for two days the previous week. Not sustainable if WFH is sustained. But plenty had the same idea - n weeks ago! Coz we faced very limited options. In the end, we got a white desk that is longer than what we had eyed earlier. We wanted a black one that could eventually go into Kai's room in future. Oh well.

Me squeezing in with the desk in the cab home - a leg went numb


Had to cheer myself up


And I really felt much better! That was maybe six hours of depression there. It will give way to angry and shouting mama in the coming days... Seriously, WFH with young kids is hardly feasible for many with young kids - my boys had angelic faces but they are no angel!

I decided last week that we would scrap Saturday lunch from the foodcourt so I went to the supermarket early in the morning to get some quick groceries. Not too quick in the end coz Yu insisted on following... Lunch was a simple porridge with Ikea fried chicken wings.

For dinner, though, it was the usual eating out. And we decided we would eat out on Sunday too else no chance - ya, we were one of those "last dinner" type :p It's going to be a nightmare three times a day to get the kids to eat at home. They're super slow and run about the whole time. Eating out is so much easier - they just sit there! At most, they shift in the seats. But they sit there and finish their food!

Conveyor belt sushi at Ichiban yesterday


For some reason, dinner at Dian Xiao Er usually turned out unexpectedly smooth after much whining by Kai


We went to the library on Saturday to return some DVDs and got new books and DVDs - not many but should be enough to tide us through the month. Tried to go outdoor but the BPP playground was closed. We went home after an ice cream. Sunday morning, we finally had some outdoor - pool time! And I went down with them. It was quite fun :)

After a while, Sito and Kai went to the deep pool, leaving three of us in the kiddy pool


And that afternoon, I got news that they're closing the pool too! So sad for the kids... I'd probably still give them pizza for Sunday lunch - keep them happy...

I’m going to prepare a timetable of activities but I suspect in the end, I have to feed them YouTube, coz Yu would run to me every advertisement time *.* This means I lose my bargaining chip for them to be good until their 3-min YouTube before bedtime. I might even lose the afternoon nap for Yu over the month. Woe is me. This “circuit breaker” had better work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment