Friday 6 January 2023

Yu goes to Primary 1!

Our baby is in primary school!

Really 百感交集 - so happy to see him start a new phase of life, so anxious about this small boy going out there, so sad this was our last "first day in P1"!

Previous first days here and here.

Tuesday, 3 Jan

Here we go!

Yu was sleeping with his brothers coz the bed in the other room had a broken board - happened earlier in December and spoiled my plan to have Yu sleep there before his first day. So I had to go wake him softly to avoid waking his brothers coz this first day was for P1 only.

He woke sobbing coz he was so sleepy! Poor boy... I coaxed him out of bed, only to have him flop onto the sofa! Eventually, he managed to get to his warm milo. 

I was a mad woman dashing everywhere. Waking up at 5.45 am wasn't enough to get myself ready before he woke! Key issue was my new nasal irrigation routine. Anyway, I managed to have my hot coffee while he had milo, and change while he brushed his teeth. Even rushed to wash dishes and make coffee for Sito before leaving the house!

Almost forgot to take picture!


With his schoolbag


We waited quite a while for the bus and got on at 6.45 am. But we reached school by 7.05 am? Super fast. Traffic was good too!

The day before, he said he was worried about making friends in primary school. So we rehearsed how to introduce himself. On the bus, he said again he was worried. Reassured him he would do fine :)

Dropped him off at his classroom. Saw him put his bag on the hook on his table and sat down. He didn't even look up to find me *.* Saw him fiddle with a new name tag on a green lanyard from his teacher as another teacher started closing the windows from the inside...

Had a morning of briefings - first in the concert hall then in a classroom where we were given a card to write a note to the boy to encourage him. Finally it was recess time!

No photos allowed so no evidence of this cute boy at recess! He was so wonderful... His class had not gone to the canteen when we got there. So I went to the bookshop to get books which weren't available at point of delivery. When I saw kids with his green lanyard, I knew his class was out so I went back to look for him while the bookshop was collating my books.

I found him almost finishing his chicken rice already! He was sitting with his back facing me. I called him and he looked so pleased to see me :) I told him to carry on eating and he did. I quickly went back to grab the books and came back but he wasn't there. His plate was also gone but his water bottle was still on the table. I waited a while more and saw him coming back with a big slice of watermelon and a big smile on his face!

He came to the barrier tape and told me the fruit cost 70 cents - "so cheap!" So cute! He asked me where I went. I told him I had to go to the bookshop. He ate his watermelon happily, turning to look at me and smile sometimes. The principal was walking around and smiled at my boy concentrating so hard on his watermelon, haha! 

He was at the end when his teachers called for his class to line up to go back to class. He didn't hurry at all. When I reminded him, he said he was almost done and finished it. A teacher who was nearby helped him with his trash and gave him a wet wipe. He wiped his mouth on a sleeve though! He had no time to go wash up - don't know if he knew how to! - so he pulled his mask over watermelon-pink cheeks and joined the line!

Parents then met the form teachers before we were brought to the dismissal area. I noticed during orientation that the notice for waiting area during rainy days was no longer at the spot during Yang's time so I followed. Indeed, now they let the parents go to the clock tower. I think the clock tower wasn't accessible before due to renovations.

It was 11.30 am. I went to Balmoral Plaza to pee and saw a queue in Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. But as I looked away, I happened to see Tiong Hoe right next door - in Finest Gourmet! And the seating was outdoor - not cold, yeah! I finished my coffee quickly but was still far from dismissal time! So I borrowed a book to read.

Went to the toilet again at 1.15 pm before heading back to school. Yu wasn't hungry so we each had a stick of chicken meatballs downstairs - I was quite hungry! Then we went to grab a bottle of milo and buns for the picnic the next day.

Shirt was no longer nicely tucked in at the end of the day!


Kai and Yang were playing Nintendo when we got back. They settled their own breakfast - I bought buns for them the previous day - and Sito washed up. Papa also got them lunch and was working when we got back. Packed Yu's bag for the next day and let him play with his brothers.

Wednesday, 4 Jan

Another mad morning, or madder coz three! I gave up on the nasal wash so I could be faster. Even helped Yang with shoe laces - big boy now :)

Yu didn't cry today but he was nua-ing on the sofa, on the dining bench... So hard to get him to move. Lucky I told Kai in advance that he was not to hurry his brother or complain else it would be even madder!

Without buttons to button, we managed to take the 6.25 am bus and got to school before 7.00 am *.* I was really sleepy... Yu didn't seem sleepy anymore. At first he went on the upper deck. Then I convinced him to join his brothers at the lower deck. But we couldn't sit together. Well, at least no noisy quartet on the bus!

All in the same school again, woohoo!


Kai and Yang ran off to find their classroom right after. But Yang of course gave me a sweet bye bye first :)

Yu in his seat!


Ok, I was naughty. I took a photo! Well, the point of no photos is to avoid taking photos of other people. There was no one else in this picture. But a kid on a tangential row called me out :p And the Chinese teacher stepped in right behind too, oops... Still happy to have captured Yu at his desk! The configuration was different from the first day though - U instead of rows and columns.

I had a cup of not so nice kopi in the school canteen, where I sat and read for an hour before the next programme. It was a parenting talk but more targeted at fathers. It was not very comfortable sitting on the auditorium floor... Eventually, the kids joined us. It was a picnic!

Hotdog bun in his mouth


I was chatting with a fellow mum and later realised our boys were one index number apart so they knew each other! Yu went to ask him what he was having for picnic :) The father eventually brought a mat from their car, seeing how many other parents had picnic mats. They kindly invited us to share their mat. They even offered finger food - Yu was very happy to eat grapes and Pocky.

Then, it turned out that it wasn't just a picnic. They had class-based games! His class was shouting F! F! F! F! F! Don't be mistaken - he's in 1F :p

It was like Kai's orientation but simpler - only needed parents and children to work together to form big letters. At dinner time, Yang was sad to hear of this coz he didn't have it - the first batch of fresh P1 during the pandemic.

Yang: I also want a picnic!
Mama: Let's see if we can do one...
Yang: On grass?
Mama: Possible. Or beach.
Yang: Sand? I don't like the wild...
Mama: Huh, do you know what a picnic is in Chinese?
Kai: 野餐
Mama: Yes, and what is 野? *no response* It means WILD!
Yang: I prefer indoor.
Yu: Then eat at home la!
Mama: Haha!! That's right! But don't make me put picnic mat on the floor! We have a dining table!

Hilarious!!!

Anyway, Yu was sad to leave at the end :( As he waited in line, he asked if I would pick him up at 1.25 pm. Yes, indeed!

I left shortly before 11.00 am and decided to head to town to get LNY clothes for Sito and me. Couldn't find anything suitable :( 

Went to the bookshop to try my luck at a final book but it was not available yet. Have to get Kai to go collect it himself then!

But I suddenly remembered C started working at MWS which is headquartered at the same campus. I texted her while in the bookshop queue and she was in the canteen too! We chatted over fruits and she went to fetch the kids with me. Yu then Yang then Kai came down from the clock tower.

End of their first day of the new school year!


Lunch was prata for them and nasi lemak for me


It was quite routine for Kai and Yang on their first day of P5 and P3 once they found their classroom. They had their usual recess. Oh, I even saw Kai on my way out in the morning - he looked so tall even with his friends! I went up to him and he looked surprised. 

Then he immediately tried to explain why he couldn't leave all his books in the locker. I had told him to wait for his teachers' instructions instead of bringing random books on the first day but he wouldn't listen. So I said I would deduct 15min Nintendo time for every book he brought back at the end of the first day. I didn't want him to carry heavy bags all the time. By the end of the day, he brought back one of six books as his Chinese teacher was not firmed up yet.

In the evening, when I asked them for their thoughts and feelings of their first day, Kai said he was not happy coz the teachers were fierce, no, strict - so many things to do! Haha! Hello, P5 is when you start preparing for PSLE! Good luck... My anthem this year is "Learn it well, learn it once!"

Yang said it was boring and quickly told me his enemy Dylan was sitting next to him! Mama: Is he your 敌人 coz his name was Dylan? :p

Turned out that Dylan picked his nose and put it on his own table. Yikes! Told Yang not to touch his table. No need to make enemies!

Thursday, 5 Jan

The morning repeated itself. Yu and I stayed on the upper deck as we got front row seats! Yu was happy and pointed out signs and lane numbers etc.

When we alighted, Kai was long gone. But Yang turned back to walk with us and said bye bye :) 

Yu went in on his own - he managed to find his classroom all on his own, yeah!

I was early when fetching them. But we missed our bus. So Kai and Yang took the next bus to change to a train while Yu and I waited for the straight bus home. I wanted to familiarise him with the bus route.

Lunch was madness. Had to quickly go fry eggs for their sandwich! Today, I made tuna melt instead - prepared and put into fridge, just put into the toaster when we came back, bliss :) So now I can sit down and write and print timetables - gotta get them to pack according to timetable!

So here we are, at the end of week 1 of school. Kai and Yang are all settled in. Yu will take some time to get used to getting ready for school and figure how all the routines. All the best to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment