Friday 12 January 2024

44

Sei sup sei! (Cantonese)

I have a thing for so-called unlucky numbers :p

Birthdays happen every year. I didn't bother with my birthday past my mid 20s - just needed to have a cake coz as a kid, birthdays were the only time we got a nice whole cake with cream and decoration. 

Then kids arrived, and it's really nice to have them celebrate birthdays!

It is also a reminder of my mortality, to treasure time with my lovely boys, young and old.

After a few weeks of hawker food for our weekly outside breakfast, we checked out Toast Box at the new mall on Saturday. The usual for the kids, mee goreng for me, and cake and barley for Sito. They seem cheaper than Yakun and gosh, I love those local dishes! 

Kids weren't used to having less toast, as this chain doesn't cut each slice of bread in half like Yakun. They also thought Yakun was crispier. Hope to turn them around to Toast Box...

My arm is not long enough to capture my whole face :p


Or, my face is too big? Haha!

They finally got to play with this! Not crowded in the morning, just wet so couldn't sit


As usual, we must go to Swensen's on birthdays. I signed up for their membership which requires Telegram. To my horror, as I learnt later, that my contacts would know I started using Telegram coz they were asked to message me!!

Menu is also very fun to read


Birthday sundae :)


Nothing to do with my birthday but we decided that we would finish up the tang yuan in the freezer on Sunday while the kids had their usual pizza. Sito patiently panfried the little balls. I think the Spring Home brand panfries better than the Fairprice house brand - holds the shape better.

And they come with a packet of crushed peanuts!


Happy birthday to Mama!


Kai must make some funny / weird expression at every photo, sighs... Think he was pinching an invisible double chin here!

As we got the cake slices - pistachio raspberry with a fish on top (LNY!) and yuzu osmanthus - and some Mister Donuts at Bishan on Saturday, we decided to do the cake thing on Sunday instead of Monday after school - eat them fresh!

On Monday, while the kids were in school, Sito and I had a nice breakfast at Makan@Jen. This was our second time there, first time being dinner with the kids. We are sold. They have a wide selection and the food is yummy!

Just us :)


Sito telling me all about croque monsieur


mf: A what?
Sito: Croque monsieur (proceeds to read off Wikipedia)
mf: Oh, ham and cheese sandwich!

My hub really cracks me up sometimes :)

He had to make one!


I'm happy when he's happy :)

Next was shopping! Ah Yee gifted us a Tangs gift card when we moved house. We bought some Corelle serving bowls previously - they have been giving us wonderful steamed dishes! 

This time, we got better tongs and scissors for the kitchen - my old tongs were plastic from Daiso and I hesitated to use them apart from grabbing toaster sandwiches, and my old scissors were "tai lang tai buay si" in my Mother's words! 

Bonus buy - a crossbody bag! I saw the ads for this bag often in the past year but never got down to feeling it. Bags, must feel it before buying. The last bag I bought was in early 2020 just before COVID hit - I passed by the shop n times and eventually went to the shop to feel it three times before buying it! And I just gave it away coz the seams were fraying and the strap was killing my shoulders with prolonged use.

Anyway, I felt the bag and tried it on. Looks easy to clean. I think I can fit all our water bottles or five brollies inside! Sito said he could carry it as well. Recently, he carried a flowery red and white backpack coz our old kiddy backpack broke after the last Legoland trip :p

I continued shopping while Sito went to fetch the kids. Must go to Daiso and check out Uniqlo for kiddy pants.

The kids were heartless though; Kai didn't even give me a birthday greeting *.* But after Papa's reminder, Yang drew me a card. I'm happy :)

Super sweet boy :)


And he has requests, haha!


"paypay" means 陪陪 at bedtime :)

Coming Sunday is 阿嬷家 day and we'll be having dinner downstairs - will post pictures later.

With some luck, this is the midpoint of my life? I must say it has been a charmed life so far, considering everything. Here I go, stepping into a hopefully peaceful second half of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment