Friday 11 October 2024

The last eight

This boy is eight!

Firehouse birthday ice cream without nuts for this monkey


We started celebrations on Saturday. Went to the library and met Mother they all for dinner at Dian Xiao Er at Bishan.

First time we got a duck head coz we ordered one duck in two flavours


Two cakes this time - one for the 78 and one for the eight


Then Sunday, we went to Xin Cuisine at Holiday Day Inn Atrium for lunch. Dim sum with twists - like ginkgo on top of siew mai. So Yu had only one siew mai after the top was removed.

Strawberry cake as requested


He also asked me for a strawberry cake. So I googled madly. Tried to make a chiffon cake a couple of weeks ago - failed! The cake collapsed spectacularly. I think I need aluminium trays... Lucky I tried first. 

So I stuck to sponge cake. But the top sank a little and I was afraid I might not have enough to cut into two layers so I quickly put together another batter using the same recipe but with oil and milk instead of butter coz I didn't have time to soften the butter. The second cake turned out to be softer.

But I think I'll get aluminium trays. I already have an order for the same cake from Yang :)

The cake was bigger than Yu's head, haha!


I was greedy. I made a three-layer cake. It was hard to stack them nicely coz I didn't halve the cakes very well. So I think I need two or three aluminium trays - make layers individually, no need to cut.

And even though I repurposed my condiments turntable into a cake turntable, I couldn't get the cream all round so it was more like a naked cake. What a sus cake, haha! Yu said he liked only the cream and the strawberries though, not the cake. Maybe he would prefer the light chiffon cakes made using aluminium trays.

:p

On his birthday itself, we indulged him and had dinner at Swensen's at Clementi. He could get his free Firehouse birthday ice cream only on the actual birthday. So Yang escaped - no revision for Chinese compo exam the next day...!

But all were happy with their food and ice cream :) And the trip on a school day took a toll on the younger two - they were knocked out very quickly that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment