Monday, 20 July 2026

Ear wax

What a topic!

The first time I came across ear wax was when I was very young but old enough to remember that Mother brought me to a doctor who used a gun-like thing to shoot warm water into an ear (oooh, comfortable) and a large piece of ear wax came out *.*

After that, Mother would sit down at the gate, make us lie down on her lap, and dig our ears! I don't know how often that was done but I enjoyed it coz it was very comfortable. Ticklish yes, but it was nice :)

I don't know when that stopped too. But years on, I bought a ear digger - that's what I call it anyway! - when I was in Japan. It's black with a little bell on it, complete with a stiff sleeve. Come to think of it, that thing must be some 20yo!

Anyway, apart from that ear wash in childhood, I never had any ear issues. If I feel something inside, I just dig a little. I think Sito may use it more often than me now, after he saw a doctor some 10y ago to wash out ear wax. 

Now as a parent, I don't dig my kids' ears as I've read that ears are self-cleaning. I don't remember for Kai and Yang, but I used to smell Yu's ears when he was a baby hahaha! Smelly but so sweet...

Then during the June term break, Kai told me he felt a huge piece of ear wax in an ear. After a moment's hesitation, he decided to let me dig it out. So on 16 June, for the very first time, I dug a kid's ear. I took a torchlight to the ear, spotted something and dug at it. Something came along but with resistance! Then Kai used his fingers to pull it out. Suffice to say it was gross.

As I excited told Sito about it, he reminded me that I did for him before - 10y ago when he had the ear issue. Gosh, my memory has really suffered from pregnancy and kids!

A couple of weeks later, it was Yang's turn to feel a huge ear booger but he refused to let me do it. Ah well, just wait for it to drop out then!

No comments:

Post a Comment