Sunday, 4 October 2026

Yang's hilarious moments

Yang did three funny things recently. Must write it down so we can look back and smile in future :)

1) What's your foot size?

Yang has very big feet. His feet are about Sito's size but meatier. He's very proud of his big foot. He thinks he's Big Foot sometimes! So he loves to compare foot size, hence the question.

Yang's VS. mine


Nothing is wrong with that question - until a boy asks a girl he barely knows!

Yes, my boy made this faux pas. It was at his tuition class a couple of months ago. A girl from another class who was there for a makeup lesson happened to sit in front of him. He noticed she was quite tall and had biggish-looking feet. So he pointed to her feet and asked her his fave question.

"Piak!" She swatted his hand away and ignored him!

Yang told Sito over supper that night. Sito had to guide him in the way of, well, friendships with girls. And he used me as an example coz I was conscious of having big feet as a child with very limited shoe options - not pleased of course! We had a good laugh about it. 

2) The prude

Couple of nights ago, I had to change my pyjamas top after Yu put his sole to my back during bedtime chat - I leaned on my pillow while watching drama so ya, not transferring any dust to my face eventually!

After changing, I went to Yang's room. He looked at my mismatched PJs and asked whether I changed in front of Papa who was already in our room. And the following exchange took place:

Mama: Yes.
Yang: *eyes wide* Are you wearing a bra under that? *pointing to my top*
Mama: Um, no....
Yang: *eyes wider* How can you do that?!
Mama: Eh, you change in front of me all the time!
Yang: You're my mother!
Mama: But I don't want to see you change! ... And you change in front of your brothers all the time!
Yang: But it's different! Papa is a boy, you're a girl! *wagging finger in my face* Don't do that again ah... 

I didn't promise :p But this is the boy who said "shame shame" when I wore a tube dress so maybe I shouldn't be surprised!

3) Chinese swear word is funny?!

Ytd, we were at Japan Home at Star Vista. It's been revamped and carries more snacks! While I was checking out the batteries at the cashier, I overheard an exchange between a cashier and a PRC customer that went something like this:

Cashier: 只有 NETS 
Customer: 不收现金卡?
Cashier: 我们收现金,卡只有 NETS
Customer: 对,所以不收现金卡?
Cashier: 现金收!不收信用卡!

Then the customer went off to get something. When we were paying, the customer came back to scold the cashier, something about her being unreasonable, not speaking nicely etc. Cashier auntie said she tried to tell her nicely. Voices were raised but eventually, cashier auntie went back to her job, saying she wouldn't bother quarrelling with that customer.

When we left the store, the customer was standing outside with a bag and a basket of goods, complaining loudly to presumably her husband about the cashier. And Yang was laughing madly at the side, with the two smiling widely too. Turned out that he overheard the customer say 操你妈的!

He learnt about this swear word from his classmate and knew the English equivalent but he said this was the first time he heard it in use and he found it super funny! Sito and I found it super funny that Yang found it this funny lor, hoho!

Kai asked us about another phrase he heard though - 狗眼看人低 - so the quarrel became a mini Chinese lesson for the boys as Sito also told them about 有眼不识泰山!Chinese immersion continued that evening as we watched MTVs on YouTube, AI 仙 侠 style!

Anyway, I still can't get over it. At first, Yang said 操你妈 a few times while recounting it. I think it's in Chinese so it sounded funnier than rude to him, compare with the f word. Had to tell him that it's still a very rude swear word so please don't use it!

PS: We thought at first that the customer referred to debit card as 现金卡 and the cashier didn't get it. But now I think it's cash card? In any case, we don't use this term at all so it was a matter of 鸡同鸭讲 🤦‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment