Tuesday 10 August 2021

Spending National Day at home and hospital

I love to spend National Day at home. We were out the past two years so this year, I'm very happy! Even though we were "forced" to stay in, due to COVID restrictions...

This year, National Day was on Monday so the celebrations in school took place on Thursday for Yu and Friday for his brothers, which meant we managed to wash their red SG tops in time for the actual day, woohoo!

Before his party with pandan cake and satay


With matching shoes!


Happy to have a short day!


Kai's class won with this creation! :)


Getting ready for the parade


When I sat down, this boy came to sit on me


The only boy to stand for the Anthem, with a flag no less!


Also the only boy to stand for the Pledge (ignore his timely need for his bolster!)


This year, Kai was curious about the marching and the commands. I have limited knowledge from my time as a Girl Guide. I even forgot that what I was in drills until I asked Sito later that day - right marker!!

Then we listened out for the chinooks and the jets. Finally, we spotted both from the bedroom balcony - happy!

A few days ago, I saw a random video on Facebook of youngsters dancing to a remix version of this year's NDP song. On Sunday, I realised that there really was an official dance! We listened to old NDP songs over dinner and ended with the latest one complete with dance moves and narrated by August the Merlion. Seriously, August...

Anyway, we danced a bit after dinner and it was quite fun! We agreed that we would take a video the next day. We also agreed to say the pledge in three languages - Kai to try Malay if possible, Yang in English and Yu in Mandarin. Yu already did a super cute one in Mandarin with his mouth full :p

The next day came... And only Yu did his part for the Pledge and only Mama danced to the song! Bah... Later in the evening, Sito recited the Pledge in Malay for us - I don't know about the kids but I was very impressed with my husband, hoho!

This was just before we sat Yu in the middle to lead the Pledge in Mandarin


I would never want to spend any day in hospital apart from giving birth, but we spent some time at the hospital on National Day...

After an easy fried rice dinner, Yang went to poop. I saw him head for the shower. He said his tummy was painful but did not need to poop again. I told him to go shower, and I went for mine. 

Just before I came out of the shower, I heard Kai say something like, something is happening to Yang. I came out to find him in the same position as just now - he was holding his tummy with one hand, and the door knob with the other. And he was crying!

He said he was in pain, and it hurt especially when he coughed. It took a bit of persuading for him to let me give him a quick shower. We decided to send him to A&E. I didn't say it in front of him but I was afraid if anything raptured inside, given his big, infrequent poops. His last poop was Friday, so it was still some time before his usual 7-10 days' gap between poops and I had not seen him like this even at 10 days post poop.

By the time we cabbed down to the hospital, he had a 2-minute nap and could walk straight again. From what he told me, it sounded like he had cramps. He had his oxygen level, blood pressure and weight measured at the triage. Then we waited and was seen quickly enough. The doctor suggested an enema and an aggressive dose of Forlax which he had before at way lower dosage. 

Yang had an enema as a toddler when he had difficulty pooping. We have quite a number of photos of him straining to poop in diapers! Come to think of it, he had always had smelly poop too even when fully breastfed. Maybe his digestive system is just like that... 

It was during circuit breaker last year that we realised he had constipation. Before that, I didn't think about it even if he didn't poop at home at all coz he could have done it in school. But when there was no school, it became very clear that he didn't poop much... When he goes, his poop is so huge that we have difficulty flushing it. Now that I think about it, I think this problem might have been there for ages coz we had difficult flushing his poop even before circuit breaker :(

He had his second enema on 25 Jan - oh yes, I tracked his pooping dates and some details! So this was his third and it was successful - I heard, smelled and saw everything as I was in the toilet with him. There was no potty seat so hopefully he could be convinced to give up the potty seat at home too!

It was about 10.30 pm when he went to bed. Poor boy must have been quite tired... He wasn't up and energetic when I went in at 7.30 am this morning.

He started his medicine this morning. Took him maybe 30 min to finish it *.* Lucky it was a school holiday today so we had time. But by the time we got to Hillview, it was 9 am and hot!

Yes, we hit the rail corridor today!


Yu had school today but I took him out of school, oops..

Kai thought walking was boring. I gave him the option to stay home but of course he wanted to go out :p Think they all got excited seeing the tracks! We walked to the end which was boarded up, and back down to continue our way south.

Trying for a selfie but my eldest was near so wefie! :)


13 km to Tanjong Pagar


There was this little stream along the track


Counting gravel...


Another bit of tracks near Beauty World, where we made our U turn


12.5 km to Woodlands


Saw a huge snail!


Yang agreed that it was fascinating :) We also saw butterflies, dragonflies, an ant with a red bum, wild fruits, remnants of rambutan skin and many counts of "somebody mask" by Yu. That last bit wasn't nice at all *.*

While Yang just kept walking and walking, Yu started complaining he was tired on the way back. He was the sweatiest boy even though most of the trail was not sunny! Kai complained here and there - how long more, walking is boring etc... But we - Kai and I - also had a nice chat along the way. While Yang and Yu were checking out gravel, I told Kai about my hikes in Norway and my trip up Europe's highest peak. Of course that led to Mt Everest - every kid must know that as the world's highest peak right? :p - and I told him how you must train to climb that and mountain sickness etc.

Time for an early lunch!


Love how this boy eats prata with curry


The entire walk from Hillview MRT exit down the tracks and back to Springleaf took maybe 70 minutes. We waited a while for our food but it was still a rather early lunch at 10.40 am. Fed them yakitori at 3 pm for a protein boost!

Oh yes, dining in resumes today, woohoo! We're looking forward to eating out this weekend! So happy it was earlier than 18 Aug coz I want to stay in on Saturday 21 Aug for the NDP show!

No comments:

Post a Comment