Sunday 3 March 2024

Maybe cockroach at home or confirmed cockroach at work?

Nothing to do with my lizard's tale.

During the six hours in Kiztopia, Sito and I had plenty of time with each other and not much distraction. The kids came only for water and didn't linger much coz couldn't wait to go back to play. Besides checking our phone occasionally and dozing off here and there, we had time to chit chat properly.

And it wasn't like date night chit chat. On date nights, we would walk around so there were distractions - things to see, desserts to decide on, things to buy, discounts to share.

We chatted about working. 

It was kind of fun writing about TFR the other day. In fact, I have another topic to write about - I had that idea when I was working but 1) no time at work, 2) not even my portfolio, 3) colleagues in that portfolio also no time! It has been tricky getting data so I'm hardly started.

Point is, I can totally imagine myself going back to work. I've built up a good reputation at work over close to 20 years. I can do a variety of work. In fact, I also enjoy much of the work I did. While I don't like managing teams, I can. I also don't like all the peripheral things like courses and "CCAs" but ok, I can *.*

But - and it's a big BUT - I can't imagine leaving Sito and the boys. Put Sito aside - every so often, this man will have itchy backside and think about going back to work himself... 

For the boys, to be more accurate, I'll only leave them physically for four hours on school days and more during term breaks. But I know from experience that I will tend to want to settle the kids asap so that I could go back to my laptop - don't know why. So end up I'll feel super frustrated that I'm not focusing 100% on kids or if kids delay bedtime etc.

I want to prepare a nice home environment for them. I want to cook for them, something familiar that they would want to come home to in future. I want to work with them on Mandarin. I want to watch them grow up.

And, just now as I started this post, Sito and I had an animated chat about work too. It just so happened that I bought $80 worth of insect and lizard repellent on Shopee, and told JY. She said we were pathetic - we used to work and had a life instead of talking about non-compliant kids and household problems!

Funny la, but kids and household problems won't go away with work. In fact, if there is a cockroach at home, I must catch and kill. If there is a cockroach at work, everyone will siam and I'll be the gong earnest one that the cockroach will aim for. I'd rather deal with the cockroach at home - Sito can kill; I only need to pick it up to throw. Then we will have a cockroach-free home. The work cockroach will, however, bring its army of emails and whatnots. Meanwhile, cockroaches may still enter my home, wth.

So, I'm thankful that Sito has done the sums and it's ok if I don't go back to work. 

My no-pay leave ended in February but I have extended it for another year - no word from HR so I assumed it had been approved. I expect HR to call me during ranking season when names are brought up... Perhaps that will be time to make a clean break... We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment