Wednesday 24 March 2021

Cooking and eating with the kids

Kai likes the cheesy chicken balls from Old Chang Kee. One day, he said he wanted to make them himself! So I told him to write a recipe.

And he did!


Full marks for thinking about it :) A couple of weeks later, we finally got down to doing it. He thought the minced pork looked disgusting *.* Anyway, we got the things together and got to work!

Mixing the meat and seasoning


Yang also wanted to help


Stuffing the cheese into the meatballs!


We were rolling meatballs together for a while. Then Kai decided to take pictures. Then Yang decided to take pictures too, leaving me to roll meatballs *.* But Kai came back to roll the last couple.

Taken by Yang


All baked!


Yup, I baked them coz didn't want an oily kitchen early in the morning. But as I half expected, the cheese mostly oozed out. The picture above looks clean coz I had transferred the meatballs to another tray to brown further. And when we ate them, they were tough :( Maybe should really fry next time...

We haven't been to Swensen's for while so we went there one Saturday!

Kai had three quarters of this big burger; I ate the remaining


Yang had half of his burger plus the entire top bun; Sito had the rest


Yu had three of four chicken strips - and kept running to check out the ice cream cake


And we shared ice cream!


I ordered a flavour for each of us: Vanilla for Papa, yam for Mama, chewy chocolate for Kai, cookies and cream for Yang, strawberry for Yu. Kai was saying he wouldn't eat the strawberry coz it was pink. Yu then said he didn't like pink but he liked strawberry - he used to like pink! :(

Papa: Why don't you like pink?
Kai: It's girl. My friends and I don't like pink.
Papa: You don't like girls?
Kai: Don't like.
Papa: But Mama is a girl!
Kai: But Mama is not a girl!
Papa: Then what is she?
Kai: A woman!
Papa: So you don't like girls; you like women!

:p

Kai and Yang had an argument at Mum's place. Yang was crying a lot. I brought him out to cheer him up.

Swinging monkey on our way out and back


Doughnut and hot chocolate for him - check out the size of his beverage!


大眼睛 and even bigger cup!


Brought them to Bukit Timah Summit on Tuesday of school holidays


I was dizzy and out of breath from the start. At the steps, someone asked after me and I said maybe my bag was too heavy. He helped me with it. But a few more steps, I realised it was not the bag. I asked him to carry on while I sat down. The kids came back for me and squatted next to me as I collapsed on my bag. Felt better lying down. A few more asked after me as they walked by. Someone told me to put my head between my knees. I felt much better after that and continued to the summit. Later, SZ said she experienced that before when she didn't have breakfast - oops, that's me that day!

Coz I wanted to eat prata for breakfast!


Kai said it would be sad if there was no curry in the world! :p I had to agree with him as we shared the plate of curry. We like it but don't need loads of it.

Yang didn't want the curry but was still pleased with his prata


The next day, we brought Yu to school together before heading to Orchard to get uniforms for Kai - he needs bigger shirts and bigger pants. His new pants this year turn out to be not that big after all....

Char siew bun! Sito often eats this at work too


Yam bun!


Toast monster :p


Met Joyce for lunch after uniforms. The kids at wantan noodles while I had claypot rice at Malaysia Chiak at Centrepoint. Had a good catch up - so good to see other adults haha!

The boys had their heads together over games while the adults chatted


Watched Raya and the Last Dragon the next day - each of them had a bag of popcorn and a cup of milo!


I treated myself to taro milk tea after that, yum!


That day, I panfried some mackerel - they liked it! :)


The last date night, I bought some old-school snacks - the floury 大福饼 (didn't know it was called that!) and the sugary twisty biscuits.

Yang likes this :)


These two had their first western food experience at the coffee shop near hurt-my-knee playground


The rest of us had fishball noodles and bah chor mee. They were kind of disappointed that the playground was wet and they couldn't play much.

From mid week of the last week of last term, I gave up on lunch for Kai and Yang - they took a looong time to eat and Yang would even say he wasn't hungry. Then dinner became another struggle. So I decided to just give them meaty/veggie snacks instead of a full lunch. Seems to be working so far - they finished the food way faster and we had more time to do work after that.

Homemade sausage rolls - I made them super big this time :p Great for freezing and heating up to eat with ketchup.


Last Sunday, I also baked macaroni. This time, I cooked the macaroni in the sauce instead of separately. Turned out really well!

Everyone adds pepper to their macaroni, including this baby!


Yu had the last 大福饼 this morning while I had peanut cake and egg tart from another old-school bakery


Wow, I didn't realise I have so many pictures on food! Heh, love to see them eat more and well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment