Saturday 8 May 2021

The kids' learning

A parent mentioned in the P3 class chat how she was having difficulties teaching her kid times table for the weighted assessment.

WEIGHTED ASSESSMENT?!

I wrote down all the dates in my calendar but obviously, I had forgot all about them! Not the first, not the last...

I remember revising science with him once before his first weighted assessment. Nothing else... He came back with 9/14 for English, 10/10 for Maths, and relatively high marks for Chinese and Science - oops, cannot remember :p I only remember the best and the worst. This boy can speak English well, but coz he doesn't like to read, I think his comprehension and composition need a lot more work....

Anyway, after seeing that message, I turned around to Kai and listed the various topics in the upcoming assessment. He assured me he knew them. Also tested him a bit on times table - passed. Checked his mock test from last week - 27/33, very decent - and went through the two questions he got wrong. Ok, good luck to this boy then! :p

June holidays are coming up. I think holiday camps may be out of the question if the COVID situation gets worse... So I'm preparing to give him test papers! Seriously, good luck man... And that's to me :(

This boy is keen on selected stuff; here, he's teaching us his way to fold aeroplanes that can fly far


As for Yang.... I wrote about his spelling already. I think I need to redo phonics and go through all the hanyu pinyin sounds... Thank goodness there are no exams until P3!!

But his maths is good :)


Yu is experiencing some explosion in language. He is always asking me how to spell this word or that. Very cute :) And he can spell and read some words on his own. Like that day at Tori Q, he pointed to HOT on the glass and said it out loud.

His first ever spelling!


Kai had his in P1. Yang had his in P1 too, I think, though by then he had a more structured curriculum. This year, they started spelling at K1, gosh. But Yu did pretty well. He also did well for Chinese - he has been talking about words with 草字头 for some time now :)

Sometimes, he'll get me to write various words or phrases for him


He can also write a lot, both English and Chinese. Above bottom right - he wrote 小 and 子, saying he learnt the former but nobody learnt taught him the latter. Good job, boy! On the other hand, I realised after reading one of the Chinese books at home that I got 猴 wrong; I wrote an extra 竖 oops :p

Yesterday was half day for Yu. We were supposed to do some family activities that afternoon in lieu of a family day with the school and friends, cancelled two years already due to COVID. But of course I had to misread/forget that we were to hand this in on Monday, not yesterday, so we did it all the weekend before.

But we only stuck the photos on yesterday coz I had to get down to printing them :p


First photo within - video call with AhMa to learn something passed down from her grandparents (cooking yummy noodles)


Second photo - hanging out at our fave spot (with doughnut of course!)


Third photo - doing up the family tree (Yang came to write his and Kai's names)


No comments:

Post a Comment