Thursday 1 September 2022

Spam/Scam calls

I haven't received +65 calls for a while and suddenly, I got quite a number this week. And I got reminded to write about a few calls I got previously...

*** *** ***

Earlier this year, I received spam/scam calls about every other day. One week in March, two calls stood out.

1) Spam call

I was ironing when I got a call with no caller ID.

Caller: Hello, can you hear me?
mf: Ya..
Caller: (some loan offer)
mf: Thanks but I don’t need a loan, bye!

Phone rang 10 seconds later

Caller: Eh why you hang up on me like that? Your parents never teach you ah…
mf: ???! I said thanks I don’t need and bye. I’m going to say this again - thanks I don’t need a loan bye!

He called a third time but I ignored.

Cannot take no for an answer

2) Likely scam

Was on the train when I picked up a call with SG number - no +65. Below translated from Mandarin.

Caller: Hey mf, just want to tell you I changed my number.
mf: Ok… but who are you?
Caller: Huh you see new number cannot recognise me ah?
mf: No...
Caller: Eh *my full name*! We just talked at work you can’t recognise me! Why like that (etc etc) never mind I WhatsApp you la..

Well, no WhatsApp came in from this number.

He knew my full name; he spoke with a Malaysian accent which is common; he had me wondering if I might really know him until he mentioned work - I’m not working

I already shred documents with names and contact info. Looks like next is to remove my name from what? Online shopping?

*** *** ***

In June, I received type #2 again. No idea if it was the same guy but my response was different. Again translated from Mandarin.

Caller: Hey mf, just want to tell you I changed my number.
mf: Ok… but who are you?
Caller: Huh you see new number cannot recognise me ah?
mf: ... Oh, Michael ah?
Caller: Ya lor!
mf: So what's up?
Caller: Just give you my new number. Keep in touch over WhatsApp ok?
mf: Ok ok! Bye!

I think it was the next day when he texted me. I didn't see until later so he called me. I wasn't very free so I didn't play long.

Caller: Hello!
mf: Michael ah, what happened?
Caller: Nothing la...
mf: Then why call me when you just left office? Just go and deliver! I thought something is wrong with your delivery...
Caller: ... Never mind, never mind...

He had hung up. Could tell he sounded... awkward? Sian? Of course, couldn't scam me! Yeah!

*** *** ***

Back to this week. I rejected all +65 calls. But I had a bumper crop of calls on Tuesday, and Yang was with me at every step...

1) A legit call

I just stepped into the bathroom when my phone rang. 

Yang (in his usual loud voice, super cute): Mama! Your friend is calling! There is no +65! (Oh yes, I taught them :p)
mf: What's the name?
Yang: No name, just number!
mf: Oh, never mind then. Just let it ring. 
Yang: Oh, now there is a +65!
mf: ??

So the called had hung up and the missed call showed up on my home screen with a +65. Later on, the same number called again. Turned out to be the polyclinic verifying my residency status. I think these guys need some training - how could they call and ask for NRIC issue date immediately?! Nowadays with all these scams, we should be careful too. I once made my bank verify their identity first :p

Anyway, I told the lady I'm a Singaporean and asked her to confirm both my two bills with them were based on Singaporean charges. Goodness.

2) A call from Bolivia

I was in the kitchen when a got another call. 

Yang again: Mama, you have a call from.... Bolivia!
mf: ??

Turned out the country was shown on the call screen. Ok, I don't know anyone from there so told him to let it ring. Most probably a scam.

This year, I did pick up one call from overseas. It was +44 1865 - yup, I still recognise Oxford's area code! It was a call from a current student seeking donations.

3) Spam call

This one has no called ID. Yup, another one of those loans. He spoke Chinese and addressed me by my surname. When I said "yes?", he switched to English. Then I totally lost him - and told him so! I have no idea what you're talking about. He went on a bit more and I heard "credit". I asked if he was trying to ask me if I wanted to borrow money. No need, thanks. I can lend you if you want! Yup, I said that, haha! 

Yang said I outsmarted him, ha! 

Lesson here - instead of replying, just ask who the caller is.

Another lesson, learnt and put to use already - I'm glad I shared about spam/scam calls with the kids :)

No comments:

Post a Comment