Tuesday 27 September 2022

A nasty bout of flu

Last Thursday, Kai developed a sore throat during swimming lesson. I wondered if it was Covid, striking the kids one month after me, just like the last time!!!

The next day Friday was his e-learning day so he stayed home. When I came home from sending Yang to school, I found him in bed with a fever. Gave him medicine and told him to rest until he felt ready for e-learning. 

After a while, he decided that he was up to it and got up to do some work. But he felt bad again and went back to lie down for a while before getting up to finish up his work. So poor thing :(

But he tested negative on the ART.

That night, I was still awake when he came in with a pained look on his face. He was so unwell that it took me a few times to understand that he said he was having vertigo, like when he had Covid. He felt dizzy while in bed and wanted to puke. We stayed in front of the toilet bowl for while but only saliva came. Lucky Sito got back already and helped bring the tissue box while I supported the poor boy.

After a couple of times, I asked if he would like me to lie down with him. My baby said yes. And barely a minute in, he got up and puked. Was it me? *.* But it wasn't the end. He was still uncomfortable and let me put some oil on his belly. He eventually got up another time to puke successfully, after which he put his head on my chest, held my left hand and finally fell asleep.

Awww, my baby :)

But oh, my chest and my left arm! This boy is 33kg, more than half my weight! 

He was way better when he woke on Saturday. But not so for Yang, Yu and me...

On Friday when I sent Yang to school (or was it when I fetched him??), I noticed that he was coughing a little. It's difficult to get him to do ART so I got Kai to do again - it all started with him! Negative.

Yang developed a sore throat and fever by Saturday evening. Yu also developed a fever and came to find me past 11 pm. I was already asleep after taking some medicine as my nose started dripping after sleeping in Kai's bed the previous night. 

Poor boy cried that he felt uncomfortable. I knew immediately he had a fever. Details are fuzzy now coz I have been ill too... But he was crying in his bed and woke Kai. Then somehow he ended up in my bed. He often woke crying. And three times, he got up, went into my toilet, lifted up the toilet bowl and puked. It was mostly clear liquid. 

Now, after the kids' Covid in March, I told them all that they should make a beeline for the toilet bowl if they felt like puking. Kai and Yang puked back then but not Yu, so I was impressed that he remembered to head straight for the toilet bowl. 

Anyway, the third puke was near daybreak. I had been wiping down the burning boy the whole night coz he was crying or sleeping and I couldn't give him medicine. He woke crying near daybreak so I gave him some panadol suspension but he puked everything out soon after and told me the medicine made him puke coz he tasted it in the puke *.* Lucky he likes the taste so he continued taking it in the day.

He decided he would go back to his bed when he stayed for the next two hours. I knew coz I also slept for two hours until about 9 am when the house phone rang. I came out to answer the phone and Yu came out shortly after.

We were supposed to go to AhMa's place that Sunday but I wanted to be sure it wasn't Covid first - Kai's ART was still negative. But with Yang and Yu down too, we stayed in. Mum brought lunch over instead. I also couldn't take it after two bad nights and went to nap after lunch. Totally 不省人事 until Kai asked for afternoon snacks.

Yang and Yu were still running a temperature and took medicine throughout the day. Luckily no more vomit and Kai was alright by then, coz Sito had to leave in the late afternoon. I packed an easy dinner and quickly ended the day with some medicine. I was getting a bad body ache by then and really needed to rest. 

But I kept getting up to check on the boys. Yang gave me a huge scare when I twice found his eyes wide open! The second time, he didn't respond when I asked him how he felt. I was so scared and asked him to tell me if he was ok! He smiled and nodded. Wa liao. 

Kai went to school on his own on Monday and Tuesday. He has oral exams these two days. I wonder if adrenalin made him get well so much more quickly than his brothers...

Yang and Yu still had a fever for much of Monday. I was also very sick with runny nose and body ache. But Mama must wash bathrooms which had seen vomit. I was quite dead by mid morning and spent the rest of the day lying in bed with the boys. They still had energy to watch TV. I just slept until it was time to pack meals.

After a last dose of medicine on Monday evening, they had no more fever. My body ache came back after the medicine wore off so I woke many times at night to check on them. Then I couldn't take it anymore and popped some paracetamol in the dead of the night. 

Today, I still kept Yang and Yu home as they were coughing. And also I wasn't sure I could muster enough energy to go fetch Yang who would have been dismissed earlier than Kai. They were a lot more like their usual selves today, yeah! I was also on the mend, less runny nose and no need to pop more medicine for body ache.

This was worse than COVID! The kids except for Kai had fever for a longer time. Kai puked more. My body ache persisted for far longer as well. Issit coz we're vaccinated against Covid but not the flu bug of the season??

Well, I'm now not looking forward to washing bedsheets tomorrow - all four sets coz various kids sweated flu germs in them! Good luck to me...

Yu checking Yang's temperature unscientifically during breakfast today :)


No comments:

Post a Comment