Thursday 1 September 2022

The month to wear red and white

We started August with COVID and Yu's puke.

Got a call from the school that Yu puked after lunch and that he was crying from a stomachache. He also had a rash on his upper lip. I picked him up and went straight the NUH urgent care clinic located downstairs from the school since Raffles wouldn't open for another hour and I wanted to grab some food for him at Fun Toast just across from the clinic. Yu had only one slice of toast when the nurse called us from the door. So we packed the toast and went in. 

Yu was very cute at triage. A friendly nurse checked his oxygen level and chatted with him while I stood behind him and spoke with another nurse about his symptoms. I heard him say he was five and going to primary one next year, in a soft voice which was so unlike him! He was shy but very collected :)

The PD addressed him directly too. But a question really made me blink thrice - on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most painful, how would you rate your stomachache? I felt bewildered. I wondered how Yu felt; he was all quiet. I asked if he understood. Still quiet. Then the PD explained that 1 was like relaxed, like lying on the beach (!) and 10 was (some painful sounds). In the next second, Yu answered, softly of course, "Five."

But he couldn't describe his stomachache. I prompted him - was it poo poo pain? Was it vomit pain? Nope, he just shrugged. The PD also asked another question which I forgot but I remember his answer: I forgotted (sic).

I think he did very well :)

Anyway, no HFMD; the rash could be due to the wet nose-mask combi so I switched to cloth mask the next day. The stomachache and puking could be one off or the start of stomach flu. Just monitor and drink more water. 

There was some screw-up about medicine call not getting through. Lucky I went in to ask. Kai called while we were waiting for the medicine. Got him to heat up the pizza himself for his lunch. 

When we got home, I only managed to get Yang to finish his homework. Yang and Yu played together so well they couldn't hear me *.* I hope this was only coz they seldom played in the day on school days, else next year would be bad!!

Yu woke up late one day - not many more chances for such photos! 😢


A friend invited Yu to his birthday party. His mum invited ex teachers and ex classmates as well, as a gathering before primary school. It was so fun!! Think Yu spent an hour in the pool. I spent an hour standing by the pool looking like a hawk! He didn't have his puddle jumper with him as I heard it was a waddling pool but it was connected to the deep pool!

It was time for the playground after dinner so more play time! Then it was cake cutting and singing. The kids were jumping around happily! By then, I just sat and watched :p

Kai and Yang were home. I got them dinner before Yu and I left for the party. Sito cleaned up. Everything was done by the time we came home, which was like 9 pm? Kai and Yang were asleep by then!

Singing with his friends!


Source: Birthday boy's mum's video collage

And then it was National Day! Sito and I switched places - he got food while I isolated :p Well, somewhat isolated... :p KFC has become a standard so it was a lot of chicken while we watched the parade. The boys switched to YouTube Kids after 7 pm and turned back for fireworks after 8 pm.

Happy with dinner!


We just nua-ed at home on the school holiday after National Day coz COVID. So sad. The following week was another short week due to PSLE orals. Yu decided to stay home too *.* Got them to do some work on Monday coz I didn't manage to do any with them the past week. Also had a karaoke session :p Then they played Nintendo. 

Caught Yu in mid air as he jumped (off the sofa or up?) singing on the mic!


On Tuesday, we had an appointment to collect their passports. We got a queue ticket 5 min before our 2 pm appointment time. The ticket said there were like 200 pax in front of us. True enough, the place was packed! After standing for a short while, I found seats to keep the kids at one place... Kai nagged about waiting the whole time *.* Considering the crowd, I thought it was good that it got to our turn just past 2.30 pm!

There was just one seat in front of the counter and Kai must sit on it. And he must exclaimed why Yu was the first to get his passport. etc. Luckily the lady was very patient with us. Kai and Yang had their iris recorded; Yu was still too young. 

Early dinner at Paradise at Wisma!


Also bought popcorn for them before going for their haircut at Beauty World. Then I must grab some baked goods at Ng Kim Lee! Got them some popsicles to eat outside the shop so I could shop in peace. Got some muffins and cakes - happy :)

Still must look at the popsicles while eating...


I cut my finger again on Friday, 20 Aug. Broke a few bowls accidentally and was picking up the last big shard when I was cut. I quickly rinsed off the blood, pressed on it and sat on the sofa. Didn't feel faint; didn't faint. Phew! When I told Yu about it, he said I needed "mind power" (to help pick up the shards) - and he lifted both hands into the air! It was so funny!!!!!

Staycation again - way less snacks this time coz heavy dinner of fried rice with 加料


With the boy who recommended mind power to me :p


Sito came home on Saturday just before we left for dinner. He went out with us but did not eat as he wasn't hungry and he had to make a new pair of specs to replace the pair he lost that week. So kids and I had yummy tongue tip noodles - Kai ate so much! - before finding him at the specs shop. 

And just in time coz he almost got long-sighted glasses instead of short-sighted glasses! So apparently, he now has 老花 too but I don't think it's serious enough looking at the size of text on his phone... We make a good pair - I will see far for him and he will see near for me :)

Anyway, we borrowed some books from the library and exchanged some book bugs cards for the kids, and called it a day!

On Sunday, we went to the SGSecure roadshow downstairs. We queued for a show inside. Turned out to be a simulation exercise! Yu was sitting on my lap and when he heard the explosion sound, he jumped off and ran a couple of steps before turning to find me to go together! Poor boy had a big scare!

Little Yu being consoled by Papa after we exited the show


He didn't cry though. Kai and Yang were aware that wasn't real. Yu heard and continued with the exercise in another room, where we heard people trying to come in from the other side, where a man was "injured" and asked for help. Kai was nearest so I asked him to help. He didn't play along very co-operatively *.* He kept saying this wasn't real etc. The cynical teenager is emerging...!

They enjoyed the games at the roadshow


Eh hello, are you helping or killing the poor guy?! :p


Kai was listening to AED info while the other went hands-on already


We also watched a couple of clips on people helping in emergencies. Yang was especially interested. Need to introduce them to practical things like this. Shall find more to add to my home school slides on crisis management!

Some weeks, I'll bring Yu out for breakfast. He likes Yakun for one. He also likes being out with just me :) Only three more months of just the two of us!!!

Nope he didn't finish the whole plate...


As he was finishing his third piece, he pointed to the last piece on the plate and said, "I really can't handle this because I need (to drink) my milo." And he said it so seriously. I really could not handle it too, haha!

Btw, why must you button all the way up? :p

AhYe caught Covid so we spent another Sunday at home. Time to go Dian Xiao Er for dinner! I've been wanting to go for a while even though we just had the duck when I had Covid. Maybe I miss eating rice with chopsticks? So hard to do that at home coz I pile food into big bowls for everyone - save on washing up!

Yu was happy that Sito was rocking him with a shaking leg


He pretended to insert a coin - Papa has become a kiddy ride haha!!!


Mighty pleased look - and I like how he crossed his tiny arms :)


We had all finished and were waiting for Yang to finish. So this boy came over to our side. Oh, now we often sit the kids on one side where possible. Stare at them eating, heh! 

Very happy to get this shot!


I was sitting with them in front of the TV, and he leant on me. I miss this!! I whipped out my phone and took pictures discreetly... My big boy :)

Sito had a public holiday on the last day of August - yup, non-SG schedule! So we had a nice dim sum lunch and walked the mooncake fair at Takashimaya. Too full to sample mooncakes. We just bought our usual and tried a new one which had a nice box and taste. 

Happy us!


I put back my mask while Sito was happy to walk around maskless. Auntie must protect my nose... After dropping the mooncakes back home, Sito rested while I quickly packed a few things around the house before we went for a foot massage :)

We were going to get a drink when I received a call from the school. Yang called to tell me he hurt his leg and couldn't get back on his own. Sito went to fetch him and Kai while I got Yu and prepared for the evening.

Yang was limping. It was a superficial abrasion but a pretty large one. Took a long while and some drawing to figure out how he fell - on a kerb, slanted, and his leg dragged on the kerb causing the large red patch. He said the bone hurt and it wasn't orh cheh pain. But the skin felt more painful. 

There wasn't a raw wound or blood so I applied paw paw ointment and let him go without a bandage. But I let him skip school (Teachers' Day celebration) and check out the bone at the polyclinic. Thankfully no fracture! He's no longer limping but it still hurts. Could swim today too. Hope he gets all well very soon! Happy and healthy September, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment