Sunday 30 October 2022

A new (old) kitchen gadget

When we moved to BP in 2018, Mum gave us the airfryer she bought to toast peanuts back in 2012 or so coz she used it that one time and never again. We used it on and off to cook nuggets and fried chicken for the kids.

When I took over the kitchen after we gave up the helper, I wanted to use it more but I realised the airfryer was very gross. No matter how I soaked and washed it, I couldn't get the grease off. And the mesh tray was all discoloured, bent and sticky. I could no longer bring myself to use it.

Then I remembered Mother got one too back in 2016 or something. Think she had some voucher and between an airfryer and a hoover, she went for the former. But she used it once and never again. So I asked her to bring over when she came for the BBQ.

The greasy Philips was probably one of the first generations of airfryers, with a mesh cooking tray and a drip tray with grooves, both hard to keep clean. It was also very heavy to lift out of the bottom shelf - we have no other spot to keep this appliance. I brought it to the cleaning/recycling area with a big sticker saying it's still working. 

The new(er) Powerpac is also pretty old, with a small capacity than the Philips but it's enough for us. Most importantly, it's easy to clean! The cooking tray is not mesh and the drip tray has an even surface. I use grease paper to line the tray so can just wipe after light use and wash only after major cooking.

But the Powerpac feels less sturdy than the Philips - it can slide on the counter and the closing of the tray is not as smooth. Still, it's so light and easy to clean that I have used the Powerpac airfryer more times in the past three weeks than I used the Philips in four years!

First use was prata sausage rolls for the kids' after-school lunch - so easy and they love it. Then I made a sandwich for myself - I can do this in the toaster oven but the heat is more even in the airfryer. Also fried chicken thighs to top spaghetti, beef patties for burgers and Korea pancakes for supper. Will try to fry fish next - reduce fishy smell in the kitchen!

Kids enjoying prata sausage rolls


No comments:

Post a Comment