Friday 21 October 2022

Sinusitis struck again!

I still remember that summer in 2003. I had this terrible headache no matter how I turned my head. It was accompanied by super thick and green mucous that was never ending. I could honk whole day long and keep getting such mucous! 

When I called the doctor, I was told that the earliest appointment would be one week later. Well, this was NHS. I insisted on seeing a doctor that very day and they slotted me in with another doctor. He diagnosed sinusitis and gave me antibiotics. So relieved.

Two Sundays ago, I caught a little chill after taking a nap at Mum's place. Then I started getting a headache on Wednesday. It only started in the evening. Panadol and Anarex didn't work so I had to sleep early - I don't feel the pain when I sleep :p Somehow the pain wasn't there when I woke after 11 pm. 

I also had a little bit of yellow phlegm, maybe once a day. This got me thinking about sinusitis. I don't know why I didn't see a doctor early. Maybe the small amount of coloured mucous - compared to 20 years ago - threw me off. And the headache wasn't omnipresent.

By Monday, I felt like the pain started appearing in the day as well. I caught another cold on Sunday night due to the aircon. Clear mucous. When it started going away Monday night, well, the headache and yellow phlegm returned. I finally made an appointment at the polyclinic on Tuesday. 

I was given antibiotics. That was really all I needed. But somehow, the doctor gave me a whole host of other drugs. I told him Anarex didn't work. He said he would give me other meds. He mentioned ibruprofen which I rejected as I had that. 

Then I went to do ART - think protocol coz I reported runny nose on Monday night when I made the appointment. The swab was much more chop than we do at home! I shall not tell the kids :p better swab more at home to be sure!

Next was the pharmacy. I don't know why but I didn't hear all the drug names. But I caught Zrytec and asked the pharmacist to cancel that since it doesn't work on me. I saw yellow tablets which are useful so I kept those. Actually, I told the doc I no longer had a runny nose... I was also given lozenges when I didn't mention any sore throat. But I took it since it was cheap and good to keep for future use. 

When I got home, I found paracetamol. Didn't I say Anarex - which contains paracetamol - didn't work?! Much later that night, I realised the yellow tablets aren't the usual ones for runny nose but are cough medicine. I didn't even mention I had cough!!

A friend commented on Facebook that the doctor was on autopilot mode. How true!!

I kind of miss going to a regular GP like I did before we moved to BP. I have seen so many different doctors here - Raffles mostly where the doctors can change, a couple of other clinics. Just couldn't find a regular one I'm comfortable with so I still did my health screening with the doctor in HV. And recently, I discovered the polyclinic nearby. So convenient and cheap so I go there for everything including dental checks. 

Anyway, the headache finally lessened last night, though I felt it when I bent over to pick up stuff *.* Also stopped expelling green mucous. I'm on the mend!

No comments:

Post a Comment