Sunday 15 December 2019

A new sleep routine

We used to watch funny videos, i.e. three minutes of YouTube Kids video per kid, and go into the bedroom by 8 pm. In the past couple of weeks, I decided that I'd had enough of all their nonsense for some 30-40 minutes when we got into the bedroom - jumping around, jumping on me, throwing toys, basketball with my hands as hoops, balancing game, throwing game, guji game, ninja games, don't know what game!

I wouldn't mind if it was just one or even two or three of the above. But often, they wanted to do multiple things, and it was so hard to get them to settle down and turn off the light. By that night, all of them wanted me to lie down with them individually.

So we started a new thing. Or rather, I started it coz they were still asking to play games sometimes. This new thing is that, we will go in and put all the toys nicely, and turn off the light immediately. Then, I'll take turns to lie down with them individually.

We already have a sequence for who gets to choose funny videos first - Kai on Monday, then Yang then Yu; Yang on Tuesday, then Yu then Kai, etc. So we use that to decide who should turn off the light (yes, they even fight about that!) and who would get me first.

They are used to the part about turning off the light. But in the beginning, they kept disturbing their brothers while waiting for their turn or even after they'd had their turn. I used a little chant to make them go back to bed: 大乌龟,中乌龟,小乌龟,谁没有躺在自己床上的就是乌龟!It was 自己的枕头 at first but Kai brought his pillow along so I had to change it. But I think this is starting to lose its effect coz Kai said, "What's wrong with being a 乌龟??"

After a couple of weeks, I noticed a change in the past week. They disturbed their brothers less often. They seem to now understand that they will get their turn. I hope that after some time, they will be happy to wait for their turn. Even the baby who keeps wanting to lie on my belly like he did when he was a tinier baby.


As it's now school holidays, I also hope Kai can sleep in more. But they continued to wake very early. So I also started a star reward system. They get two stars if they wake after 7 am and one if they wake after 6.30 am; nothing before that. It works to some extent!

I also offer one star to Yu if he can stay in his bed the whole night. So far not working *.* Before this, I threatened to take away his funny video if he came to my bed. So after losing a couple of funny videos, he started coming to get me to go to his bed instead! So smart... Boss advised me to use reward system so I changed. He is still telling me, "But I like you..." I melt.. Shall see how this works out. Maybe it just takes a little more time for this baby to grow up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment