Saturday 11 June 2022

我们一起讲华语!

We went back to Chengzhu after four years, this time for a week of holiday class from 6 to 10 June. I didn't plan to cook those five days. So in the morning, it was mostly cleaning. As luck would have it, I fell ill at the end of day 1 - runny nose and cough and yellow phlegm kind of ill - so the remaining mornings were relatively free for me to rest after basic cleaning. Cooking and its preparation really takes a lot of time!

Lunch at Cali on day 1 - they're so cute!


Lucky I ordered the quesadillas which they ate. They had only the wings and carbs from the big platter. Yup, I ended up eating most of the platter *.*

I found that Kai was the only boy in his class of five. The only thing he mentioned about his classmates was that a P3 girl was about the same height as him. Ok, no complaints :p Yang's class has seven kids. Good gender mix.

Both said it was boring! :( I told them to make good use of the time anyway, just enjoy themselves while learning something...

I left them to poop at home while I fetched Yu and packed char siew noodles for them. And we had an early night :)

Lunch at Yayoi on day 2 - guess what's for lunch?


Yes, niku udon. Kai said this was better than Ichiban's but Yang did not think so. I didn't remember having this when we were regulars back when we stayed in Holland...

Kai had an excursion to the National Museum on day 2. Yang wished he could go too.... 

Dinner at Tori Go on day 2 - very happy!


Yu didn't want to go to Tori Go at first even though he kept mentioning it when we passed by on many mornings. He said he didn't like it when we went last time. This "last time" was three or four years ago! Anyway, I decided to stick to the plan.

When I went back to the table with drinks from their kiddy meals, Yu exclaimed, "Oh, I like Tori Go now!" Anything for apple juice?! When their bolognese came, they were happy with the garlic bread too. When they had the chicken wings, they also thought they were tasty. Success!

On day 3, we had Carl's Junior. Kai told me he wanted double cheeseburger. I didn't see it on the menu but the staff heard and said it was available for kids. But I wanted him to try something different so I ordered a regular burger for each of them. I had what Yang couldn't finish.

Jumping from one black square to another - their usual activity while waiting for 1.30 pm on those days


By Wednesday, they seemed to be enjoying their lessons. I was outside Kai's classroom. He saw me and waved me away. Later, he told me he was listening to the teacher :)

But that evening, Yang slipped and bumped his right brow against his bed, resulting in a big bump. He said he didn't want to go to Chengzhu anymore coz it was ugly! Had to reassure him that the bump would look better in the morning...

The bump did go down a lot by morning. But the spot of impact was still red and the bruise became visible. It wasn't too bad actually. He went to Chengzhu, phew!

We had pho for lunch. Yang disliked it less, haha! Dinner was a crowd pleaser though - Shi Li Fang! Kai was complaining about it before we started, as usual. He forgot he liked it last time. After a couple of shabu, he exclaimed his love for it *.* And I ordered more meat and rice. Note to self - no need to order fish next time coz they didn't like it.

Teacher sent a picture of the backdrop for Kai's performance


Source: Chengzhu

I took this picture outside Yang's classroom - they drew it on Wednesday


On the last day, we went to 18 Chefs for lunch. Really missed it after they left Bukit Panjang! Belly full, Kai and Yang then went into their classrooms confidently. Final performance! Drama and tongue twister. Kai practiced a lot on his own. I practised with Yang on evenings and mornings - luckily I didn't intend to cook!

Kai acted as an Indian merchant, an octopus and a pirate who fought against Raffles. Yang acted as a T-rex. The teachers sent us the performances by evening time. Both did so well! Yang missed out a line but it didn't affect the plot - he was a cute T-rex :p We all had a good time watching them! :)

Celebrate with Macs! Oops, didn't realise Yu's face was blocked :p


Yang's dino egg (balloon inside) before we dumped it


Kai got two balloons from his class. So hard to bring them all the way home. Had to keep them from throwing them everywhere, especially when crossing roads! Then, both burst within an hour of getting home *.*

I asked them about the camp as a whole. They said they didn't like it much but both would like to replay the drama at home. I think that's good enough :) Yang added that he was nervous about the performance and his ugly bruise. But practising helped him overcome his nerves about performing. Couldn't help about the bruise though, sighs.

I'm happy to hear them speak Mandarin this week and see the results of their efforts. But holiday programmes are rough on me. Last December, they went to Mountbatten for a week and I travelled back and forth as it was a full-day programme. This time, it was only 2.5 hours per day. I ended up squatting in Buona Vista, visiting Japan Home, Phoon Huat, supermarket and walking around many many times.
  • Monday - drama with kopi at Killiney
  • Tuesday - drama with coffee and cake at Cedele
  • Wednesday - drama with Liho and some ants on a seat in the mall
  • Thursday - ventured to Ghim Moh and had a very good body massage; slept so well that night
  • Friday - a lovely buttery scent pulled me to Headless Bakers when I had too much pastry 
And I definitely ate too much! So I didn't get dinner for myself the whole week. Only Yang noticed on Friday when our burgers and nuggets arrived. "What are you having, Mama?" Whatever is left, my sweet boy...

Looking forward to the next two weeks of school holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment