Tuesday 10 January 2023

Happy 43rd to me :)

Sometimes I wonder how people remember how old they are. I'm lucky to be born in 1980 - so long I know which decade I'm in, I can easily remember my age. Like 43 in 2023.

Ok, that was random.

Saturday tea time


I asked Sito for a cake haha! He found a nice chocolate cake from Swee Heng. It reminded us of their log cake :p

I don't know why Yang looked grouchy. He wasn't grouchy leh. But Kai didn't want to have a part in this, hence the thumbs down, sobs :( Yu happily sat on me and asked to blow the candle. Yang also wanted to blow the candle. So I decided I'd do it myself!

We like to plan for weekend meals. We were going to lunch with the grands on Sunday and I was thinking of heading out somewhere after that so likely pack dinner to eat at home so we didn't need to head out again. We were thinking of western food nearby for Saturday dinner. But with Sito away in KL this week until late on Saturday, there would be no time to go to Chinatown before LNY. So we went to Chinatown!

Rabbit year is coming!


Wait... The Chinatown Point otters have struck again - this is an otter masquerading as a rabbit!!


We were very tickled. Yu had great fun playing around these figures. He said he likes the tail - this and the real bushy tail of a rabbit :p

Our old monkey


Old goat - wait, this is a sheep?


Kai didn't want a photo again :(


Yang mimicking the horse's eyes


This series ends with the little monkey pretending to be the pink monkey


He noticed immediately that this monkey was Sun Wukong coz of the ring on the head. I didn't, oops...

We planned to have dinner at Spring Court. We arrived at opening time only to find it fully booked. Gosh. So we went back to have Xinghua food at Chinatown Point - 30 min wait... Luckily there's a library upstairs so we spent some time there and borrowed a few books.

Kai was trying to disprove a trick based on algebra - impossible!


It was dark by the time we finished dinner. Just nice to see the lights! We walked towards the festive aisles - can't remember the road names anymore. We passed by diners having their dinner surrounded by people like us. How to eat in peace?? 

Managed to try and buy some ground nuts, then some baked goods and finally some jellies. Let the kids pick two flavours each. I added a few more items and everything came up to $10. I still remember buying over $30 worth of jelly some years back *.* Never again!

Passing by Lim Chee Guan


We maintained this formation - Papa was the shepherd and I was the sheepdog rounding up the rear! Yang and Yu kept talking and talking. Had to remind them to walk behind Papa and GeGe so we didn't get split up. Actually, it wasn't very crowded. There was one year - likely pre-COVID - when we could only move along with the crowd and it was difficult to veer towards a different direction...

Our first loot this LNY!


Pasar malam downstairs is also very festive


Oh wait, this is about my birthday, heh! 

Sunday arrived and the kids were heartless! Sobs... Only sweet Yang eventually wished me happy birthday as I left their bedroom :)

Morning surprise from R; Grab Food delivery guy also wished me HB haha!


Sito and I shared the strawberry tart and the ondeh cake. I finished the remaining three on Monday when Sito left for KL!! The leftmost bag contained a cinnamon loaf. Toasted three slices for the kids' egg sandwich today - they said they didn't like it but in the end, they didn't have problem finishing it too.. I thought it was very yummy!

A bag charm from my husband :)


It was meant to be a surprise but I found the receipt among a stash of receipts - he usually passes me all his receipts for record. So I asked him what it was. He looked resigned, haha! He wanted to give it to me that day but I said I would wait. After all, he even found a hiding spot for it - in a shelf of his desk coz it was dusty meaning I hadn't been dusting it. Yes it's often overlooked but I finally wiped it yesterday, haha!

My husband is sneaky in a good way. He was out on 28 Dec. I found him using the Find My app but noticed that he was in Raffles City. He reached home when I was washing up and gave me a box of chocolate but not just any chocolate!

Harry Potter!


But it wasn't until I opened it that I realised they were wands!


Oh my, 真舍不得吃!But I will :p

Point is, he camouflaged the charm with chocolate! Sneaky right? Haha! :p

That day, I also received another early birthday present. JY and I had planned to go for a durian buffet but she came down with COVID. In the end, she decided to pack MSW from Ah Seng for herself and her in-laws who live in BP, and sent me a pack. I finished it that night, very fresh off the lorry at 2pm that day! I'm very powerful - no sore throat after that.

Anyway, back to Sunday. We had dim sum with the grands at East Ocean, now at Taka. Usually, we don't order char siew buns at Mongkok coz dinner. But this was lunch! I had one first, and another one to share with Kai who had one bite :p Not complaining except that I wish the kids would be more adventurous.

Game type after they were done


We also had a small chocolate ice cream cake! Kai and Yang had a slice each but Yu was full - from roast pork probably!

Walked a bit through the LNY fair and the Taka food hall. Showed the kids and especially Kai the prices of some food stuff, like Hokkaido scallops, gourmet chocolate... Then we let them choose some candy from the supermarket. 

Listening for the train home


We didn't go straight home. Headed for the library to borrow more books coz we didn't want to carry too many back from Chinatown the day before. 

Dinner was... Macs! The kids wanted it and I did have a birthday treat of 20 nuggets so we bought back. It was later on Monday that Sito and I realised that we were both - separately - thinking about instant noodles haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment