It being lunch time, we met at KFC first. I had completely forgotten how to get there from the MRT station! There were also new blocks and some construction along the way so nothing felt familiar until the mosque appeared. Oh yes, there was a mosque next to KFC!
Eventually, I saw the smiley colonel and swiped out Google Maps. Walked around the block to the main door which we used to use. Hello, KFC!
It looked newer than I remembered. But of course it must have been renovated since my last trip there 30y ago?!
CY arrived as I was browsing the menu, and we just ordered two-piece meals :) But no french fries to dip into whipped potato coz we're 46, not 16.
CY arrived as I was browsing the menu, and we just ordered two-piece meals :) But no french fries to dip into whipped potato coz we're 46, not 16.
But it felt like 16 again :)
My tummy was hurting the whole time after LS the previous day so I didn't get coke like 30y ago, and drank my own room temperature water; the apple juice is now in the fridge.
It was great catching up with CY! We haven't met for quite a while and the past two times, we met at karaoke so we sang more than we chatted.
I haven't been to AMK library for maybe 20y. I thought it was 30y but now I seem to recall borrowing books when I first started work... Anyway, I had also forgotten how to walk to the library! CY had visited with her kids but they usually arrived by car. But we walked in the general direction of the library and found it!
Old friends in front of the familiar facade
I think it was empty space in front of the library but it's now boarded up for some construction work. North South Corridor? Anyway, it kind of restricted our photo-taking angles... Lucky I brought my tripod along! A selfie wouldn't look good!
The inside is so different from my memories. I thought the library was always a bit dim. But on Wednesday, it was so spacious and bright inside. The individual couches were placed a distance apart, unlike in Clementi, and the walkway was twice as wide. I guess it will become narrow like at Clementi once it reopens at the mall...
We went upstairs to find authors we used to read. The shelves were emptier than we remembered but I guess it's due to the moving... 30y ago, the shelves were metal and dark grey. And we remember a 色狼 following us once! But neither of us remembered what exactly happened but think the creep left when we discovered him.
Anyway, we had to take pictures... Couldn't find Agatha Christie though...
Jeffrey Archer! I just read one this year...
Danielle Steele! Haven't read one in 30y...
So 30y ago, we used to go to the library, then KFC for a snack (or was it lunch??) followed by window shopping at Emporium etc. There is no more Emporium but we passed by the building. Think it's the one with Finest and Daiso now.
I think we also used to visit the HDB shops. There was a knitting shop which we frequented often as we were into croqueting for a while. And the CD shop! A few years back, I passed by these shops with Sito and the boys. Super nostalgic.
Also passed by Heng Heng where we had our ears pierced!
We parted at AMK Hub as CY had to get back to the kids. I um, left Sito to deal with Yang while I walked about AMK Hub a bit, but when I reached home, Yang was still having his post-lunch snack. After he had gone to his room to study, Sito and I ate the kueh and otah I bought at AMK Hub. All in, a nostalgic day!
No comments:
Post a Comment