Monday 17 January 2022

End of week 2!

The first two weeks of school were too happening.

1) For the first time, I let them come home on their own. We bought a GPS watch to keep tabs of them. It's in Kai's schoolbag coz it's quite big to wear and he lost his first watch in the first week of P1 :p It takes 20 seconds to retrieve location info. I thought I would be chill but I was quite anxious the first day... Also went through various scenarios with them, e.g. if the bus breaks down etc...

2) The first week coincided with my last week at work. It was chaotic as I was trying to sort out my laptop and ensure all important stuff had been filed and/or sent to people. Also went to office on Friday to de-kit and pack but didn't manage to do the latter coz was still doing handover stuff!

3) After just one week three days of school, Yang was issued a health risk warning. Saw the SMS on my birthday, no less. Thankfully it was past 11 pm when I saw it so still had a happy birthday :p But if he had contracted COVID-19, the damage was done coz we had gone to JEM that evening...!

So (a) we cancelled birthday lunch the next day, and (b) he didn't go to school on Monday. According to the advisories, he could have gone to school if he had a negative ART that day but I hadn't figured out how to get him to do ART early in the morning so let him skip school.

Kai: What?! I wish my friend had COVID-19!

😱 Terrible...

It was the day I intended to really clean the toilets properly - they saw purposefully wet floors just once after helper left on 20 Dec :p So I let Yang play Nintendo etc while I did work. Even cooked lunch for him. Then we settled down to play Scrabble. Kai joined us after his lunch but he left shortly coz he was upset when he couldn't form a word, gosh...

Yang posing sweetly next to Kai


Yang can't spell many words so I always have to wait looooong long time for him. Suffice to say it's a very slow game for me.... But it's still nice to play with him :)

At this point, I think I had originally wanted to write about the end of my first week as a SAHM, haha! No choice, too tired. Haven't done this much physical work for a while!

Nope, haven't managed to kick the second cup of coffee yet!


Managed to negotiate a deal with Yang for the remaining four days. Since school reopened, he wanted cereals in addition to his usual warm milo so that he could stomach the vitamins - last month, I changed from liquid to chewables which he doesn't like. So I stopped the vitamins so that instead of eating cereals, he would spend the time doing ART. He hated it but no choice...

4) And then on Wednesday, he couldn't find his wallet as before boarding the bus. We had to retrace our steps to find it but nope, couldn't find. I handed the wallet to him along with his mask, and saw him reach for a piece of tissue. He said he put it in his pocket by the time we got into the lift. I suspect it dropped through the gap of the lift... 

With Sito away and Yu alone at home, and it was getting late by the time we went home to search, I could only call a taxi for them and waved bye bye!! Gave Yang money for the way home. It cost 85 cents by cash by the way.

Took a photo of him for his replacement card when they got home. Then found that our printer doesn't print photos clearly so the counter was unlikely to accept - I asked in the morning. Tried to reduce the photo to do online instead though it would take five days for the card to arrive in the mail. But on whim, I tried the app - there was an option to use the original photo! Ok, done. And best part was that I could print the card at a kiosk downstairs, woohoo!

The next day, I called the helpline to cancel the old card to get the money back, on the advice of the lady at the counter. Due to high call volume, I left my number. But I got an sms to go get my money back after that. So automatic, yeah!

I have been cleaning a lot since helper left. This second week saw massive laundry - washed the curtains in the two bedrooms the kids sleep in, i.e. four loads; changed their bedsheets and mattress protectors. Seriously, laundry has been ruling me, haha! Also wiped down the windows while they were bare, and wiped all the bed frames which were super dusty!!!

Rare to see bare windows


Much brighter without curtains but good to block out sun in the afternoon for them


Apart from children and clothes which I must be hands on, cleaning - of the floors at least - has been taken care of my our new friend, Xiaomi 1C, aka Robot-kun :) Our grouts aren't very even with the tiles so after a while, some grouts start to catch dirt from the robot mop. So today I steamed the floors and cleaned off the dirt, yeah!

Ok, going into week 3 now... But no, there won't be a post on week 3 :p

No comments:

Post a Comment