Wednesday 8 May 2024

Recent culinary adventures

Recently, I feel the need to cook something different... I have been looking at cooking reels and drooling madly. Also want to expose the kids to different stuff.

I love Dough Magic which is 92 years away from being a 百年老店 haha! It was stated so on their website. We first had it in Chinatown. Then we found an outlet in Clementi - so near so happy! But nowadays I would only buy the spring onion pancake as I know how to make the meat pancakes and better!

Easy but time consuming and back-breaking!


I stood to make everything. Cooking alone took an hour coz 3 min each side!

So yummy! But the kids did not like it :(


Wontons are a childhood favourite. Love the skin and the soup. The kids often had char siew noodles, i.e. no wontons so I decided they must have some wontons!

One pack of skin and 250g meat makes 50 wontons; remaining 250g for meatballs


Another back-breaking activity but the kids did not like it :(

Gyoza for lunch one day - open sides and using wonton skin


Not so back-breaking but - no surprise - the kids did not like it :(

I also made a lot of other things - spinach in chicken soup, wafu spaghetti with shimeji mushrooms, sticky buns and Japanese curry fried rice. But the kids did not like them all! :(

But Yang and Yu liked my prata sandwich on Monday. I wrap ham, cheese and a fried egg in prata for their lunch. I'm doing that today again, for Kai and Yu, hoping to wrap them better this time. Hope Kai likes it too!

More excitingly, I signed up for my first SkillsFuture course - Tantalising Tarts and Pastries run by SSA Culinary. Last Tuesday, we had theory in the morning and hands-on in the afternoon. As it's WSQ, there was a written and a practical assessment - sure pass.

Potato and onion pasties and Hokkaido cheese tarts


One tart had gone into my tummy :p I dropped half the dough of the pasties so I threw away my four in the end :( My class partner daringly ate everything! I tried the chef's version in class - yummy pastry but I didn't like the filling much. 

The tarts didn't look too good but they were yummy! I decided not to torch the top but had already added egg yolk to the top... And for half of them with salted egg yolk lava centre, we also piped leftover lava on the top...

The tarts were a bit too much cheese for me but not for Sito. Maybe coz I had four while he had two?? But the chocolate tarts from yesterday were great for me and less so for Sito who is more prone to "heatiness".

Also made smoked salmon quiche tarts and lemon meringue tarts 


We each brought home two of each type of tart. Now there are only one lemon meringue and one chocolate ganache (I declined the strawberries coz give me 100% chocolate!!!) left in the fridge...

Also, first time piping cream - so fun! I find the straight tip easier than the flower tip. Chef torched the cream for us. There was a lot of meringue cream left over so I brought some home - I have a tray of meringue cookies in the oven right now as I type. Share pictures later, if I remember...

Oh, and the kids were not interested in the tarts and pasties :(

Next time just cook for Sito and myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment