Friday 17 May 2024

Things they say

I think I haven't recorded the darn things that come out of the kids' mouths for a while... It gets better as they grow...! Here are some, mostly from a single, long convo one night:

1) The devil is in the details

Bedtime talk

Mama: What did you have for recess today?
Yang: Waffle, even though I was supposed to have chicken rice. The smart buddy system broke down so we could only order the set and I was afraid I didn't like the set.
Mama: But you use cash so should be fine?
Yu: Yes, can use cash.
Yang: What? I didn't know. They never told me the details.

2) Kids do not know the value of money - Part 1

This continues from the chicken rice talk.

Mama: Do many boys use the smart buddy watch?
Both: Yes, many! So easy, just beep.
Mama: We want you to use cash else you may not know the value of money... If you use the watch, you just beep without knowing how much money you have before and after, and..
Yu: But you can see the balance...
Mama: Ok but the point is, it's always topped up. But with cash, the money goes out of your hands, and you FEEL it!
Yu: If you forget to give us pocket money, we can use student card.
Mama: Yes, only then.

3) Kids do not know the value of money - Part 2

Continued from #2

Mama: How long do you have to work to earn $100?
Both: ??
Mama: Let's say you do a holiday job at McDonald's. You have to work maybe 10 hours for $10/h (I plucked numbers from the air)...
Both: O.O (yes, big eyes and ohhh...)
Mama: And you will not bring home $100 coz you have to take bus or train...
Yu: But we can walk there!
Mama: If this McDonald's isn't busy, the boss may ask you to go elsewhere like Clementi. And 10 hours - you must have lunch right?
Yu: But it's still a lot of money right?

If you say so

4) Yang is very contented

Mama: When Mama was a relief teacher, I earned about $1,000 a month.
Both: That's a lot of money!
Mama: After I graduated, I earned more than $2,000 a month.
Both: !!!!
Mama: If I had better grades, I could have earned $3,000 a month.
Both: !!!!!!

And we started talking about education and qualifications.

Yang: I don't need to earn too much.
Mama: Meaning?
Yang: I don't want to be poor but I don't need to earn a lot, just enough to support my family.

I need to take this up further with Yang as I'm worried that he thinks he's not getting good grades and so moderates his own expectations...

5) Yu see me no up

On the bus as I sent Yu to school when Yang was ill.

Yu: Oh ya, Papa is a science teacher...
Mama: Yes..
Yu: ... He's a real teacher. You're only relief.
Mama: ...

6) Yu see me very up

Mama: Guess how much I'll earn if I go back to work now.
Both: ??
Mama: $XXX a day
Both: What?!!!
Yu: Then you should go back to work.
Mama: But then I won't be with you...
Yu: But Papa is here...

Si gin nah

7) 金玉良言

One evening when I was having a tummy ache, Yu lay in bed with me to sayang me. I told him my tummy ache could be due to the spicy noodles I had earlier. 

Yu: Then don't eat spicy noodles.
Mama: But I like...
Yu: But health is better than yummy right?

Yes, you are absolutely right :)

*** *** ***

Kai did not say anything like his brothers. Coz he has been singing...

No comments:

Post a Comment