Monday, 7 September 2026

古人的智慧?

Yesterday was the final gathering at AhYee's place for the year. Usually we have four - CNY, 清明,and the two death anniversaries of the grands. I think once we had an extra one when Yan was back with her family.

This time, the turnout was smaller than usual. MY, YQ and XW, SanGu and family were overseas. LY didn't mention but his family was not there too. I was there on my own as it was our fortnightly visit to the kids' grands. It was quieter. 

And I had a revelation. 

Such praying occasions are not really for the dead. They are for the living to come together as an extended family. Such is the wisdom of the ancients, no?

I really enjoy chatting with the extended family. Sometimes we talked about funny things in the past, sometimes we asked about travel plans and tips.

So I bear with all the incense smoke. To say I'm not a fan of our neighbour's twice daily incense burning is an understatement. But I can deal with it once in a while, at such praying occasions or at temples. Just don't get too close for too long. 

I was amazed at this!


AhYee said YQ also knows how to do it. Later at home, I learnt that Sito also knows how - for exam scripts!! And better, while watching AhYee, I suddenly remember how we used to help Mother fold the incense paper into tubes tucked in the ends and throw into a big bag to bring downstairs to burn! 

The offerings yesterday


The table wasn't filled as we had fewer people. Notice the pair of shoes at the back? For Grams :) One thing is missing though - her 3-in-1 kopi! Oops...

I was so full... Was chatting with Mother at the dining table when food coma attacked. We went into the bedroom with the rest and continued chatting in aircon comfort. 

When we left, everyone packed something home. I was happy to pack more bah zangs hahaha! And some snacks plus a box of jelly (not in picture coz not an offering) that was meant for MY but Mother didn't know she was overseas coz she still doesn't have a phone and hence no WhatsApp *.*

No comments:

Post a Comment