Tuesday 16 June 2020

The nice and the nua during the circuit breaker

I prefer to work in office. I need the kids to be in school. But there are perks to staying at home - I split them into the nice and the nua. 

Oh, forgive the tenses; wrote most of it during the circuit breaker..

The nice

I was going to say "I get to see Sito a lot more but not the other way round" when I recalled that no, it should be: We get to see each other a lot more but not necessarily at the same time! Coz by the time he's ready for work, I would be busy at work and hardly notice him - oops. And by the time I'm done with work and kids, he would be busy at work and could at most turn to me while still on a call when I go visit him in his "homework room", as Yu called it.

Except for the last couple of weeks when Sito worked late every night, we get to bed earlier - not to sleep but to watch drama! We can do up to four episodes a night, with emails, squats, foot massage, scanning hardcopy photos, handphone games, supper and ice cream in between! It's nice to snuggle :) I missed so much evening time with Sito before I started part-time coz I would be working at the desk until bedtime!

Sito and the kids get to see each other a lot more too. And at the same time, I guess, coz the kids are a bit hard not to notice - so noisy! When I'm busy with work or occupied with kiddy homework, one or two boys would go find Sito. Usually they are quite quiet, which means I would take time to fish them out! Or they would see each other when Sito comes out for water, lunch and dinner. Before bedtime, the kids may also go say goodnight, awww...

Yang says hello to Sito's colleagues


The kids and I get to see each other a lot more too. Sighs, why is that not normal in our life today?! Anyway, not having to travel back from office means I get more time in the afternoon though I now have to share Kai's time with his brothers too. I don't know if they like to see so much of me - I think I'm the person who controls Channel 5 and gives them Paw Patrol... *.*  But I like to see them WHEN THEY ARE GOOD BOYS, haha!

The kids get to spend a lot more time together as well. It used to be only weekday evenings when we're busy with coming home, dinner, shower and the whole bedtime thing, and whole day on weekends. Now, especially after the end of HBL when I don't enforce the routine as much, I hear them sing cartoon theme songs together, and see them play various old toys like the Tobot Tritan and old vehicles together. And I don't know if it's because they see so much of one another but I notice that sometimes, they find their own entertainment, each occupying a little corner of the house. But oh, do they fight!

Kai gets to eat lunch at a normal time instead of 2.30 pm. They all get to start dinner at 5.30 pm so there is no rush towards bedtime. Too early? No.... Kai usually finishes by 6.15 pm. Yu usually finishes before 6.30 pm. Yang usually finishes before 7.20 pm. Yes, 7.20 pm, almost two mama-ageing hours later! Thankfully, fruits have been shifted to 10 am so I don't have to wait any further for Yang to finish fruits after dinner! I should also be thankful that they finish their one-dish lunch in a much shorter time. Cannot understand why rice is so difficult to stomach...

Now that Yang and Yu have gone back to school, dinner starts at about 6.10 pm. So I have to brandish the cane during dinner time. The cane provides much motivation for them to focus on eating and finish by 7 pm. No one wants to be "friends" with the cane!

We also have a lot less laundry - no uniform, no towels from school, no socks! Even Kai's bedsheets - we haven't changed that for a while coz he hasn't slept in it since the start of the circuit breaker. What was a twice-weekly affair is a full-time thing now - Sito shares Yu's mattress every night. I'm glad they enjoy sleeping in the same room :) 

The nua

When I first started working from home before the circuit breaker, I still had to send Kai to school. I thought I would stay be mei mei despite working from home. But when the kids started to stay at home too, the motivation to stay mei mei was lower. 

I wear pyjamas pants the whole day. After all, video conference shows only my face and shoulders :p

I haven't worn jewellery for the past two months. Sito just went back to office this week so he's wearing his wedding ring. Mine's back in a box for the first time in 11 years!

That said, I try to be as not nua as I can. For example, I still put on makeup. Partly coz I bought a small stash just before the circuit breaker, partly coz I prefer my skin matt and silky rather than shiny dewy from moisturiser.

And sometimes, I can't be nua even if I want to. For example, I thought I would let the hair on my legs grow wild only to buay tahan by the end of the first month! So back to threading. I only wish I could thread my eyebrows too but it's so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment