Tuesday 29 March 2022

Homemade bread is best

Some time in 2020, I considered a breadmaker to help knead my dinner rolls but bought a standmixer instead so that I can also make cakes, cut shortcrust pastry and mix sausage meat etc. I also decided against single-use items given the dearth of counter space.

Then recently, I received a breadmaker as a gift. I made my first load on 8 March and wondered why I didn't discovered the breadmaker earlier!!

1) Can throw everything in the one pan and forget about it. No need to clean separate mixing bowls or kneading surface. No need to set timers for proofing cycles or baking time etc.

2) Bread is really yummy. Of course, use a good recipe! I usually snack a bit when cutting it :p Oh yes, I got to use my bread knife which I bought years back when I first contemplated making bread. My go-to recipe is soft enough to eat on its own for two days and after that, a quick toast freshens it up. 

Best proof? The kids. Yang was the first to like the bread. Kai commented it was good when he first had it; I didn't tell him it was homemade bread. Yu finished his breakfast when he didn't when we were having store bought bread.

3) Can choose the size of my loaf. For many years, we used to finish the Gardenia jumbo loaf within the five days on the pack. When our helper left, we could hardly finish the regular loaf! Now, I make a small loaf that I cut into about 10 slices - very easy to finish. 

Not to mention the gorgeous smell of bread in the air when it's baking!

But I started baking without thinking about a container... Anyhow put slices from the first loaf into a big Ikea box. Couldn't find a suitable box at Japan Home. Then Sito did a very uncle thing and got a free box from Vitagen. He was very pleased about it. But he didn't realise it would meet my bready need! Auntie me was so happy!

Perfect size for the entire loaf!


Never mind why Vitagen gives such boxes la, haha!

Notice the top half slices? I couldn't cut one end properly this time so I sliced the other way. And I had a snack before this picture :p

Also made a chocolate bread one day. Yang and Yu liked it but I didn't like it - it smelled good when baking but the chocolate taste was lacking. I'm sticking to my loaf for now but also looking forward to other types! Time to google :)

No comments:

Post a Comment