Wednesday 8 January 2020

The big FOUR

Woohoo, I'm 40!

I had wanted to lose some weight by 40 but that didn't happen... I'll aim for some weight loss by 41? :p

I love this shot! Lovely smiles for all in front of a nice backdrop at Swensen's


They had no ice cream cake slice that day so we had them stick a candle on a sundae instead! Still an ice cream cake? :p

Btw, I really like this particularly top - see the dino spikes behind!


Celebration on Sunday - Kai was busy fanning the candle!


Notice that little clan was decked out in stripes?? I chose the kids' clothes to match. Sito and I were wearing plain tops but as dinner at Man Fu Yuan at Intercontinental required smart casual with no berms, we changed. It was only when we were walking to the train station that I realised we were all matchy matchy!

Anyway, the gula melaka cake was really nice! Ah Yee knows where to get nice cakes! Too bad the kids were up to try it... Dinner was Cantonese - can't go wrong with char siew?! But the desserts were the highlight.

Guilinggao with fruits, anyone? 


Almond paste with the nicest tang yuan with the thinnest skin!


Sito told me he didn't get me anything. But it's fine. I grew up with no birthday presents. The first presents I remember were at 12 when I had a few friends over for lunch. Even then, Mother didn't let me tell them it was my birthday. But all except one knew and brought me something; suffice to say it was awkward for that one! I was quite pissed too...

Anyway, point is, I was used to, and happy, having just a cake. So I had the ice cream cake on Saturday, the gula melaka cake on Sunday, and a free cake from Starbucks today.

I also have a surprise present from Mum - so pretty and with my initials!


I wanted to wear it today but couldn't wear it on my own, hoho! Maybe have Sito help me put on at night so that I can wear it out the next day...!

So I spent my birthday a little ugly coz I had a major running nose yesterday. It started in office and I didn't have medicine with me. I think I must have infected the whole management team of my division after two hours in a small room together, oops :p

Sito brought Kai to school today so I got to witness how Yang and Yu refused to get up and procrastinated in eating and going to school! Some time in December, they started getting up later, likely due to my star rewards for not waking too early. But this is too late! They now get to school after 8 am *.*

After sending them to school, I did some tidying up at home while waiting for aircon servicing. I purposely arranged for this today since I would be home in the morning - better to do this in the morning so that A could clean up after that. I asked the guy to show A how to clean the external parts too. He was so nice!

And then I went to run errands - bought underwear and glue while waiting for the M1 shop to open, only to find out that I didn't need to go to the shop to change plan! Then I tried to buy bedsheets but the design I wanted was available only without the duvet cover so I had to wait a few more days.

Was just randomly walking around when I walked past a nail parlour and met the eyes of the staff nearest the door - she used to do my nails back in HV! And some weeks ago, she was waving frantically to me in the mall but I gave her a blank look. I really couldn't recognise her back then but today, I recognised her immediately and even called her by name. It must be her kimono uniform and face mask...

Then it was time for free cake at Starbucks :p I just switched my aoo store from the US one to the SG one so I finally downloaded the local Starbucks app - used it to pay for the first time :)

Back home, I started preparing hongbao and tidying up some clothes Marie Kondo-style. And then Kai came back.

Kai was so sweet! He came up to me and said in a normal tone, "Happy birthday, Mama." I was very surprised and pleased. My little boy looked a bit sleepy. He just woke from a nap on the bus home. And yet he remembered to wish me well the moment he came back. He said Papa reminded him. That was many hours ago in the morning. He remembered :) And at dinner time, he reminded his brothers too!

I left Kai to play Nintendo as I had a hair appointment. Finally a haircut! My hair was really fizzy at the ends and I could really do with a scalp treatment - my last one was years ago!

Right after the haircut :)


Picked up the two small ones and watched 早安老师 over dinner. I figured since they are taking so long with dinner these days, I might as well use the time to do some Chinese immersion!

At bedtime, all three boys wished me happy birthday - Kai on his own, and the other two on my request haha! And so, there, I'm 40 :)

Update 10 Jan 2020

Suddenly remembered an important thing! Despite a reminder on my phone, I did not sing this song!



小时候说好的,19岁的最后一天要唱这首歌。大了些发现这歌蛮搞笑的,尤其最后那句—20岁很悲吗?可是就一直念着要实现童年时说好的。结果19岁玩得太忙忘了,29岁工作太忙忘了,39岁生病忘了。10年后会不会又忘了?

And I had a surprise celebration in office yesterday morning. I was focusing on something when I realised a few persons started crowding at the table opposite mine which is blocked by a panel. They were looking down. I looked at them, confused coz usually the talk was louder. Then they lifted up a cute little cake! My colleagues are the saving grace of this job :)

Back to intro of this post - so fat!


1 comment: