Friday 21 February 2020

CCA for Kai and forgotten homework

Kai didn't want to take up a CCA last year. This year, I tried again. I took one afternoon - yeah to part-time! - to go through the list with him. I thought he could go for swimming; it's way cheaper than his current lessons and can free up our Sunday mornings if I stop Yang's lessons until primary school!

But this boy of mine isn't too keen on sports. We saw chess club and I encouraged him to go for it. It starts taking students from only primary two coz it's a good time to start. And he has been playing chess and xiangqi for a while since last year. I think he wasn't too keen on a CCA but eventually, he agreed to try.

The first session took place on Wednesday. The week before, he was fine at first as he realised that his best friend T was in chess club too. Then, he became a bit more whiny etc whenever I mentioned chess club coz he thought it was held at the secondary school side, "but I'm not in secondary school!" On Wednesday morning, he finally said that he was worried.

My poor boy has been experiencing anxiety! And there I was, thinking he was whiny :(

My heart went out to him but we had to prepare to leave the house. So I recalled the parenting koyok I sell, and spoke with him nicely to get ready and we would talk more on the way.

So we did.

I flashed out the app with the instructions on where chess club would be held - his classroom! And a note from the school talking about staggered recess and lunch. So it turned out that he misunderstood his teacher when she told them about seating arrangements for recess and lunch during COVID-19 period - his class had been assigned to sit at the secondary school.

So all was well. I packed fried rice for his recess and gave him $2 for lunch.

I left the office later than usual to pick him up. I got there 15 min earlier so I sat at the bus stop to read, and got to the gate at 414 pm. Kids were just starting to stream out; most onsite CCA, like his, ends at 4.15 pm. But there was no sign of Kai.

Then I got a call from the general office.

Kai: Where ARE you?

So rude *.*

Turned out that he was a bit early and didn't see me so he went straight to the general office. Ok, at least he followed SOP!

I was glad to hear that he enjoyed chess club, even though T missed school and wasn't there that day. He played with a couple of his classmates and a boy from another class.

I was dismayed, however, to hear that he had crisps and milo for lunch! My poor boy must be hungry! So I brought him for some chow - he looked so happy but going by his comment that the burger tasted like potato, I got the idea that it wasn't terribly yummy, hoho!

Happy boy!


We managed to squeeze in one round of spelling practice after his shower before I had to fetch his brothers. After dinnertime madness, I sent them to bed. Sito was away so I let Yang and Yu go to our bed. At 8.30 pm, Kai came in to say that he forgot to do homework!

mf: Must you hand it in tmr?
Kai: Yes!
mf: Chinese issit?
Kai: Yes!
mf: Too bad - it is bedtime. You just have to do it in school before assembly time.
Kai: But one part needs parents!
mf: ...
Kai: I know! We can do it on the bus!

Ok!

And I woke at 6 am ytd to find him eating breakfast and doing homework at the same time. My conscientious boy! Love love! :)

So I played my part and asked him to show me the part for parent participation. And lucky I did coz it required a square paper, cutting and pasting! He couldn't do it the first time round and had to redo. There was another similar one but we had no time so too bad for him!

Kai did the rest of his homework on the bus


Coz I was worried when he couldn't follow instructions the first time round so when I got back ytd, I had him do a similar piece. He could do it. When asked, he said he couldn't do it in the morning coz I was rushing him *.* Ok, my fault :(

He attempted to teach me chess ytd. I was so confused - no words like xiangqi!!! To think that was the bigger set which I bought just last week as he had to bring his own set for chess club and his first set was quite tiny. We played again today - I still couldn't tell a few things apart *.*

No comments:

Post a Comment