Friday 16 July 2021

Swimming lessons are back!

We stopped Kai and Yang's swimming lessons in end Sep last year. Yang was resistant; it was on a Sunday which made going out difficult; it was in the morning so it was cold; and coach wanted to raise fees at that time. Just as well, coz in Nov, AhYe saw that they didn't seem to be able to swim - after learning for two years!

I was looking around for a while and got a recommendation from a neighbour. He's a lot more expensive but reviews are good. So we finally started yesterday!

We decided to start Yu as well so I picked him up earlier. Yang was still resisting the big pool; last time they didn't go to the big pool much coz of this so maybe that's also why they couldn't learn properly. So while Kai and Yu were playing in the pool, Yang stayed dry.

Resting like a boss


This Kai scared the wits out of me when he went out of reach from all sides of the pool. I can't swim!! He continued to do so after a warning so I banned Nintendo this weekend. He was very grouchy about it when the coach arrived. But this coach wouldn't let him have it. Or he let him have it big time? Haha! 

So Coach got them to sit on the edge with legs in the water. He had to tell Kai a couple of times before he did what he said. He knew Kai and Yang had lessons before so he got them to show him. Then he started all of them on the same footing *.*

They had noodles!


Listening properly to Coach


Coz until they got the instructions, they would remain there and be cold! I was so tickled at that and that the boys listened!

They really swam a lot during the 45 min. Swam the width a few times and the length two laps. I was the gan cheong mama watching them, especially Yu who took off his puddle jumper. He shouted out to me when Coach was removing it - I'm taking my float off! :p

I must say they all did well. Kai kept kicking when he wasn't supposed to but he managed to do everything. Yang was resistant but finally got in when he realised he's taller now. Yu had no qualms getting in at all despite this being his first lesson.

Coach's feedback was that the kids were all physically ready to swim - Kai with his long limbs, Yang very good, Yu wasn't afraid. And he apologised for being strict but I have no issue with that - we're aligned in that we want the kids to know how to swim. He continued with two other kids in the estate - both wearing PJs! - while we went to the middle pool to just play.

When I asked them about it later, Kai said Coach was too strict. I told him it should be that way, else he would not listen! Yang and Yu said they like him. But Yu said he was afraid he might drown without his puddle jumper. So I assured him that Coach would teach him. Later, Yu even taught me how to do the steps 123 that he learnt :)

I'm looking forward to seeing them swim well!

No comments:

Post a Comment