Thursday 21 September 2023

Dizzy spells

We have had two scary dizzy spells in the past couple of months.

In the first week of moving in, I hurt my second toe when opening our gate - the corner is just above floor level and I stood too close. Hurt madly but otherwise ok. 

On our second Thursday, Sito hurt his big toe similarly but it bled. I came home from dinner earlier that day; probably needed the toilet or something. I saw him standing in the corridor with a grimace when I came out of the shower, holding up one leg.

Then I saw blood dripping! Told him to sit down on our bench outside while I grabbed tissue. When I went back to the door, I saw him sliding slowly down the bench with a weak "ahhh..." 😱

Dashed out to see him bee bee and barely realising he had slid off the bench. Think he fainted momentarily! Luckily he didn't fall hurt; he slid into a sitting position on the floor with his legs stretched out. He lied down on the corridor for a bit before going in to lie down on the floor in the foyer. 

Wa liao, 吓死我...

He scraped his arm as he slid down. That and the cut on his toe took a few days to heal. He hurt his back from sliding down the bench too. Somewhat like a bruise. It improved over the weeks but it still hurts a bit now.

Sigh, now he had experienced vasavagal syncope like me too :(

After that, I pasted a thick kitchen sticker over the corner while waiting for corner guards to be delivered. Our existing corner guards could not be used and they would prevent the gate from closing. Managed to find some with shorter width. Working well so far - I pulled the corner against my foot again a couple of days back but the corner guard protected me, phew!

Then last Saturday, I had a tummy ache after dinner at Vivocity and went to the toilet, leaving Sito with the kids and a basket of stock concentrate in the supermarket. I expected diarrhoea but didn't expect the tummy ache to persist until I felt dizzy and nausea. 

I thought it would pass but it didn't. I had to call Sito for help but his phone was on flight mode as the kids were playing games on his phone. So I shouted for help. 

Eventually, the cleaner came by but didn't know what to do. I asked her to get mall staff to bring in a wheelchair. A staff came by first. I forgot what she said but she helped to call Sito. Took a few times before the call got through - he checked his phone periodically thank goodness! By the time the wheelchair arrived, Sito was waiting outside the toilet. 

I waited at the lift lobby near the taxi stand while Sito grabbed the kids who were nicely waiting for him at the supermarket eating area. 

Kai and Yang were quiet, looking at me curiously, but Yu called out, "Why are you sick? Are you ok?" :)

The kids had to pee so Sito brought them in again while I remained in the wheelchair. While waiting for them, I remembered I had a bottle of peppermint oil in my bag - for Yu as he sometimes feels bad on the bus. I dabbed some on my nose and it helped so much!

I also remembered the basket of stock concentrate. We finally found this brand after six supermarkets and we couldn't finish our shopping! So sad!

By the time they returned, I felt better and could get up. I felt even better when I saw a bag on Sito's arms - he bought the stock concentrate! Later, he told me he had abandoned the basket which had more stuff he added while I was in the toilet. But he decided to grab the stock concentrate on their way back from the toilet coz I wanted them, never mind if the mall staff should find it odd!!

Priorities. I like. Haha!

Anyway, we thanked the mall staff - too blur to get her name! - and waited for the taxi to bring us home. Kai helped watch out for the taxi; Yang helped carry my bag; Yu sat with me to sayang me.

Took some baojiwan and put on some ruyi oil. Sent the kids to bed but not before answering Yang and Yu's questions on what happened. Kai and Yang were not scared - just curious - but Yu was scared when he saw me in the wheelchair. Knowing the details helped.

Sito and I discussed the whys. Lekor with chilli on Tuesday? Um, my system is slow that way... Or dinner on Friday? Could be the plate which was already on the table before we sat down. Saturday dinner was too soon.. When I mentioned food poisoning to the kids yesterday, Yu said he read about it in Young Scientist and proceeded to pull down the series to look for it. But think he forgot; he just read on :p

No comments:

Post a Comment