Tuesday 19 September 2023

Exam fever!

Kai came back with dismal results for a weighted assessment (WA) a while back: 20/40 for English compo. I read his compo - still like last year's, all my comments forgotten, sighs... But he's P5 now, just one year away from PSLE! So Sito started drilling him on English compo while I took Chinese compo. In Term 3, he improved by four marks!

During the recent term break, we also signed him up for an intensive course for PSLE English. Unlike Maths and Science, he can start preparing for English now. And he wasn't the only P5 kid in the three-day online course. Sito sat with him throughout; I was in and out often for the brothers and lunch. We thought it was very useful - Kai learnt from it, Sito and I learnt from it, and best of all, our notes (coz we are good students) can benefit Yang and Yu eventually!

Kai also had his first Chinese tuition class last Tuesday. We wanted to sign him up at Bukit Timah before moving but no vacancies. We went to Clementi after moving only to find all vacancies taken up. So we started at Jurong East. Each lesson takes three hours! The teacher spoke with us after the lesson to share her observations and how to do tuition homework at home. 

Yang is also having exams starting from this year. While Kai is competitive, Yang is happy to just pass; in fact, he said it's ok to fail since it doesn't affect PSLE!!! I want to faint ah...

But I read his compo - the content is better than Kai's but he gets a lot of spelling wrong which would cost him marks so I still need to continue with phonics which I stopped amid all the renovation and moving stuff. I also just finished putting together over 500 commonly used Chinese phrases using the word list from the MOE syllabus for P1 to P3. Yes, 500! With hanyu pinyin and meaning!

Being kiasu parents, we also bought past year papers and started both Kai and Yang on them the week before term break - four papers each every week!

Kai has been conscientious in doing his work so we can bear the complaints


Oops, caught my Robot-kun in action, cleaning around his desk... Anyway, this is a 140cm Ikea lovingly assembled by Papa :) Bought new chairs with cushion - we all prefer this to our old dining chairs.

Papa going through his work


Sito marks most of Kai's stuff and some of Yang's stuff. I usually take more of Yang's and all the Chinese. Their Chinese makes me cry la...

Yang also has his own desk


This boy prefers me to go through his work. As I had to wait for Kai to finish his tuition last week, I alerted him that Papa would help him with tingxie. He said Papa would make him write many many times! Eh, means I should have been more strict?? He couldn't remember his times tables with me but with Sito, the "many many times" made him remember so much more!

As for Yu who has no exams, we let him do some very old test papers for his level. He did quite well, which is comforting! He could do more than one a day so there isn't much for him to do already. Sito got him a maths IQ book. When left on his own to do, he copied from the answer sheets! Naughty boy!

Doing his work at the dining table even though he also has his own desk


Yang had his first oral exam yesterday. He'll have his English one this afternoon. I went through the oral structure only once. Hope all goes well... Kai's will be tmr and next Tuesday, followed by a break before the written papers. Can't wait for this to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment