Saturday 20 April 2019

Mixed feelings at work

For the first time, I received four bouquets of flowers within days. I sent a photo of the first to Sito, and told him they were from a secret admirer. He didn’t buy it.

Sito: Cannot be coz secret admirer has been busy.
mf: Eh I cannot have other secret admirers??
Sito: Can! 3! They always look for you at night!

Grrr...

A cheery surprise in office


My T team didn't want to go for the long service award and promotion ceremony on 2 April so they got flowers for me in advance.

Post-ceremony kopi with colleague and bouquet #2 from a sweet colleague who showed up at the ceremony with a box of flowers for people


Bouquet #3 from the division - loved ruffling the big bunch of small flowers in front!


Found bouquet #4 in my mug the following morning, a lovely homemade bunch


Too bad I didn't dry them well - most turned ugly. I managed to save some and popped them into an old milk bottle camouflaged with lilac paper.

The second flower arrangement in my life; first was a disaster in sec school!


Flowers are lovely indeed. The congratulatory messages and gestures are certainly appreciated. But amid the smiles and thanks were worries and fears. And these worries and fears were not unfounded - a conversation and a meeting with my incoming boss in the past week made it very clear to me what my life might look like when the re-org is done.

Half of me wants to seek other opportunities, and I did - I spoke with an old friend and ex-colleague of mine, primarily coz his org HQ is so near home ha! Also trawled various career websites for jobs and shortlisted some. But half of me wants to stick it out and see what happens - after all, I do like the job mostly; I just don't fancy the workload.

I need to balance myself a bit. So I decided not to bring my laptop home all the time. In fact, that should be the norm, not the exception considering that I start work between 7.30 am and 7.45 am, and leave at 5.30 pm, with no lunch break coz I eat a really hearty breakfast while checking emails in the morning. I did that for perhaps three days and my body decided that it could slow down - ended up with a cold!

Luckily I'm on long-term nasal spray so the running nose symptoms were quite mild compared to the past. But the multiple sneezes kept coming so I took MC. That night, when Sito was not in Singapore, I dreamt I saw a ghost in the lift in HQ - I was due to be there the following morning. Crap.

My dinner on 9 April when I was on MC - comfort food for the nose and the soul


No comments:

Post a Comment