Monday 7 September 2020

Making bread

Saturday, 22 Aug 2020, marks the day I made my first yeast bread! 

Oh wait, I made hot cross buns back in July hoho! But that didn't go down well with everyone coz it's nothing like in the song...?!

Forgive me for the missing crosses! Mixture too watery!


Also forgive the ugliness; I'm new to this! The recipe is good and the buns were yummy! I kept some in the freezer and microwaved them when I wanted one or two - still great!

I still had some leftover bread flour from July so that Saturday morning, I pulled out this dinner roll recipe. I had an accident and spilled some milk and yeast mixture so I did a random top-up *.* I was afraid the dough wouldn't happen but it did!

I didn't divide or roll them very well :p
 

Dinner rolls with mostly bread flour - had to top up with plain flour to make three cups :p


Kai and Yu like it :) Yu was ill but still ate it!


The following Saturday, I made one with plain flour. Somehow the dough was stickier. I couldn't tell the difference in taste though.

And last Saturday, I converted the recipe to a tangzhong 汤种 - this page gives a good explanation of how to do that. Again, I couldn't tell the difference in taste. It was supposed to stay fresh longer but I always microwaved the buns as I like the warm anyway. So I guess I'll stick to the easier recipe!

But I'm hoping to get a stand mixer to make the process easier. The kneading doesn't take too long but (1) I get sweaty, (2) I still may not get a good texture after 15 sweaty minutes.

Then I can bake more! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment