Monday 7 September 2020

Why does child care have more homework than primary school?!

For some weeks now, Yang comes home with two sets of homework every Friday, one for English and one for Chinese. So we spend Saturday mornings doing homework. And his lazy boy doesn't want to complete Chinese writing - instead of tracing 10 我 and writing five, he only wants to trace two and write one *.* Fine, I let him be as long as he does it well. In any case, he can recognise quite a number of Chinese words when we read.

The worst type of homework is, however, handicraft! They are couched as parent-child activity but seriously, I cannot la...

Recently, both Yang and Yu had some activities *.* Very cute to see them do but very tiring to help them with it coz really, I cannot la, handicraft!

Drawing face of Merlion


Water from the Merlion's mouth


Yang and his Merlion!


"I want to put the wheel on..."


Yu and his Yakult car!


So now, I spend more time doing homework with Yang and/or Yu than with Kai! Kai usually doesn't have homework. If he does, it's not a lot, and it's certainly not handicraft! I only need to sit with him to guide him on the instructions, especially for Chinese homework. 

Or I can give Kai homework that I like - comprehension! :p I like to see how he understands the passage and explains the answer when marking. I also like to draw with him - just draw, no handicraft. We follow Art for Kids Hub so it's easy and fun - he has even learnt that the most important thing in the process is to have fun, woohoo!

I also like to do a lot of Chinese with him coz really no choice. Recently, I found that his Chinese reading seems to have improved a little. I was quite pleased and quit trying to sign him up for Chinese tuition. That may yet come next year... We shall see..

No comments:

Post a Comment