Thursday 24 August 2006

Mothers!

One evening in dance class, I happened to hear of a classmate's 20-year-old daughter.. But she looked like she was in her late 30s! I sat down with her and two other ladies, and learnt that she had a son one year my senior! Man, she kept really well! I mean, look at Mother! Ok, she's 60 this year but I don't recall her looking so young when she was 52! I'm so convinced of the miracle of consistent exercise and an active mind at work..

Ok la, to be fair, Mother was the fleur de la kampong ok! Don't play play.. I'm pretty now (detractors, hush!) so need to make sure I age prettily :p

The three ladies were all in their 50s, and somehow one of them said they could be my mums! Da Ma, Xiao Ma and Wang Lao Ma! Three new mums for me, yeah! :)

These are "fun mums who dance". There are nice mums too, like Grams. She doesn't meddle in her children's affairs. She trusts them to do the right thing. At 80s, she's still so buddy with Aunt. I like her :)

The other day, I heard WY on the phone with her daughter. When she was done:

mf: Could you be my mum pls?
WY: Haha! I love you too!

She is the kind of mum I want to be, and also the kind I would love to have. Reason, not the cane, is the way to go. I don't want my kids to harbour the same unpleasant thoughts I used to have against the folks who held the cane. And Mother never gave me any acknowledgement of affirmation or parental affection. Telling me "this is for your own good" was just telling me what she wanted, not what I wanted.

Alright, this is degenerating into a grudgy post. And I'm not stopping myself.

I hated it when she assumed the worst about me. Why would a parent not trust her kid to do good? Borrowing a line from TV:

"I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't come home pregnant.. Why are you doing this to me?!"

I don't talk much in the house but sometimes I have interesting things to share and "don't tell me cos I'm watching TV!"

Fine, maybe she was kind like Grams many years ago, I couldn't discount that. Maybe, life has hardened her as it did so many...

Hmmm, that's so dark.. I shall not scare myself. I'll go back to living in my world of mf-ism..

Three happening mums!

Da Ma slapped my bum bum yesterday and went, "You've got a big butt!" *.*

I enjoy being the youngest at work and among the youngest in dance class. It's tiring to always be the big sister.. I just want to be a little girl, really..

No comments:

Post a Comment