Wednesday 15 December 2021

Mindfulness camp

I had wanted to send Kai to holiday camps since he entered primary school, and I finally did it this time! Of course, Yang went with him.

It was the second week of the school holidays. In the first week, they played Nintendo whole day while I worked; after work, I was too bothered by tongue ulcers to engage them that week...

Chose this week due to uncertainties over Sito's return. There was no VTL with Malaysia when I booked the camp so we had to avoid Sito's SHN or they would have to take ART every day before going to camp...

The unfortunate thing was that, this camp this week was really far... I had to make 10 round trips to Mountbatten!

Monday, 29 Nov 2021

I have given them a prep talk the evening before, but the morning grumbles were inevitable - woke so early (but they were awake even earlier over the weekend), nose so itchy (same every day), why must we eat breakfast (hello, no recess...)

Somehow we managed to get out of the house by 7.30 am and boarded the train by 7.40 am. The journey was quite fast including a change at Promenade. We reached Mountbatten by 8.15 am. 

Model kids on the train, reading their new books from our weekend trip to Popular


Took a leisure walk to the surface and found a covered walkway - no need to bring brolly, yeah! Eventually, we reached a side gate and found our way to the meeting spot just before 8.30 am. Spotted the facilitator and handed the kids over.

I took the train back and started work. Finished at 3.30 pm, just nice to go fetch them home. Rested on the journey there...

Took some time for me to get the kids. Unlike the morning arrivals which were staggered, all the parents came to fetch the kids at the same time. Coz I didn't want to spend $25 on a taxi, we took the train home :p

It was 5.30 pm when we got the Bukit Panjang so I told them to go home on their own while I went the other direction to pick Yu. I was worried when I didn't get a call from the door bell - they can buzz my phone to open the door for them. I called home in case they managed to get in when other people went in but no! 

I hurried back with Yu to find the two hanging around B3 coz they couldn't enter the mall - tokens said unvaccinated. But aren't children allowed to enter malls?! I asked the staff on duty and he said they could not go through. The kids were sick of waiting and Kai wanted to poop, so I just buzzed them through with my app.

That night, I dropped the mall a note over Facebook. They replied very quickly and were very nice about it! So we could (a) call the mall using the help button at the gates at B3, or (b) head up to the manned gates at Macs to be let in. I think it's easier to go through (b) - it's a slightly longer route but it's still safe (no roads to cross) and sheltered (just walk a little more if it rains) and won't clog up the queue at B3.

Anyway, back to the camp... I was asking them along the way and they didn't say much before being sucked into their books which I brought along. But I received a text from the facilitator about what they did today so I asked them the breathing exercise they did and got Kai to teach me - score! :p

Kai said the camp was alright. I think he was relieved that it was not in a forest, camping in a tent! He said he went into dirty water in the forest in an excursion in K2 and he didn't like it... City boy... Still got NS, how?! Yang said he liked the camp but didn't elaborate.

Got a nice picture of them reading something together

Source: The camp leader

Tuesday

More complaints in the morning - why are we always the earliest? Hello, you always want to reach school super early... But this is not school! *.*

These two walked into the classroom without a second look at me *.* When I complained, sweet boy Yang came to say bye bye :)

So this day, they went swimming! I barely asked and Yang was talking about his "noodle fights" :) They did more breathing and some yoga. I asked them to teach me. Yang just demonstrated raising his right arm over his head to the left side.

No, he wasn't afraid, hoho!

Source: The camp leader

They said that they would be going to a farm the next day. Animal farm or vege farm? Farm lor! We shall see...

Wednesday

Yang offered a goodbye hug outside the classroom :)

They went to a farm this day! They saw and touched chickens. I saw photos of kids holding up the chickens!! Mine didn't but Yang touched a chicken called Mr Chicken :p

Source: The camp leader

They also made compost

Source: The camp leader

Thursday

No excursion anymore. Actually, I don't know what they did the whole time coz they wouldn't tell me much - just want to talk Beyblade among themselves!!

Kai made egg mayo sandwich for lunch

Source: The camp leader

Yang made rice balls - but he said my rice balls are yummier :p

Source: The camp leader

Friday

Last day of camp! 

Looks like something I would do - get into the photo!

Source: The camp leader

He didn't like the vanilla inside

Source: The camp leader

They said it's lime outside. The following week, Sito and I had coconut ice cream which looked similar and I didn't like the inside too - maybe they had that instead?

So that was their first camp. I'm already on the lookout for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment