Monday 20 December 2021

TCM journey for my nose

Logging my TCM journey for my poor nose...

1) Thursday, 8 Apr 2021
$158.47

I mentioned I started TCM for my nose again, after the first time in late 2009. Doc would treat both my nose and my gastric issues coz they are "表里". The medicine was horrible - bitter and spicy. Week 1 of medicine, I sweated at night. Week 2, my symptoms went crazy as, I guess, the nasal spray left my system totally.

2) Thursday, 22 Apr 2021
$204.79

First acupuncture session. The medicine changed a little - less spicy. She gave me just enough packets to last until my next appointment, plus a bottle of probiotics which I rejected coz scared LS like when I took just before India trip! My nose got worse in middle of week 3 before showing some improvements before week 4. When I woke at night, my nose felt less stuffy. But it's still dripping a lot at night.

3) Wednesday, 5 May 2021
$241.69

Again, there seemed to be an improvement as the second week approached. But then it became a bit erratic - sometimes, I got stretches of comfortable breathing, and next I used tons of tissue. I guess overall trend is improving, which is good enough this early in the treatment.

Midway through these three weeks, I started needing to poop every day! I get mild to bad tummy ache after meals. For at least one meal a day, I would need to go. On Friday when I had kimchi ramen, I could feel movements through my intestine - haven't felt that for a long while, usually when I had a large dose of probiotics. Maybe the doc gave me medicine to help since i rejected her probiotics *.* 相表里 right....

This stretch is slightly longer as I couldn't get an appointment on the two working days of Yu's child care centre closure week - closed three days that week. But as luck would have it, I kept him at home for the next appointment due to COVID... Too bad for me..

4) Monday, 24 May 2021
$214.93

Told the doc about the tummy ache and then it kind of dwindled to no pain *.*

Nose condition fluctuated.

5) Tuesday, 8 Jun 2021
$215.96

And then there was plenty of LS pain! EVERY DAY!

And sometimes, I went multiple times a day. It was - short of giving TMI - nasty... It felt like my intestines were given a cleaning *.*

I was wondering if it was the new Yakun ground coffee. So fragrant and yummy but I gave up after one week. But the pain continued so it was probably the medicine. Strangely, I did not go the day before the next appointment. Was I finally getting used to it??

Nose was random. I wasn't drippy mostly but it was still blocked often.

6) Wednesday, 23 Jun 2021
$209.04

Told the doc about the LS and she said she would adjust the medicine. So it was the medicine :(

True enough, no more daily LS. But I did get a nasty stomachache while in the library with the kids that Friday. For a moment, I was scared I couldn't rush home in time but somehow the pain went away...

Nothing to do with TCM but I had Shack Shake after my appointment since it was just opposite and I had to cross the road :p Underwhelmed though :(


7) Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021
$209.91

The doc suggested going off carbs as that could affect my stomach and nose. That's hard! And I told her so. She asked me to consider it..

I told her I was having some gastric pain. I didn't know why... Then just before I left, she told me to eat warm and slow. Um, I did wolf down some food before that, oops....

Now no more daily poop :p But my intestines are feeling fine! More importantly, I suddenly realised both my nostrils were not blocked!!

But I suddenly got a running nose on Sunday. Popped a yellow tablet and all was good.

8) Monday, 19 Jul 2021
$212.33

The doc gave me a lot of needles this time, including around my nose which she hadn't done for a while. Maybe it was coz I told her about the running nose. I also told her I could not go off carbs :p

9) Tuesday, 3 Aug 2021
$226.96

My runny nose never really left me until Monday :(

And this visit was supposed to be in the afternoon but I changed it to the morning due to a workshop in the PM. In the end, workshop changed dates and I had to change my next appointment too! This means I didn't have enough medicine to last me until then. Not that I miss the taste but it's treatment right? Need to be consistent.

In any case, my runny nose is still on and off, usually on during weekends, which is very frustrating. And this dose of medicine seemed to be giving me tummy aches again like #5!

10) Monday, 23 Aug 2021
$262.72

Between finishing my medicine and this appointment, I had only one poop :p But gosh, it was such a relief from constant tummy aches! My one poop was very fine some more :p Asked the doc to stop making me poop like that.

The nose, however, was a different story. I kept getting runny nose! But it got better after I started wearing a jacket at bedtime before hiding in the duvet. I think my nose really doesn't agree with aircon...

11) Tuesday, 14 Sep 2021
$213.92

Oops, missed updating so I couldn't remember my progress :p

12) Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021
$214.53

Told the doc that I would not be able to continue treatment by the end of the work. Nose seemed ok this round.

13) Tuesday, 12 Oct 2021
$217.19

Good nose!

Wonder if it's coz no aircon, as Sito had left for KL...


14) Tuesday, 26 Oct 2021
$237.49

Due to a cockroach, I slept in Kai's bed one night. My nose was not good for a day after that. Then it got hot and I turned on the fan, and my nose was also not good.

I think a key part of managing my nose is to keep warm and reduce direct wind on my face. Very hard!!!

15) Friday, 12 Nov 2021
$216.26

Told the doc that this would be my penultimate trip due to Sito doing SHN at home in December. But then the VTL with Malaysia happened and his flight was a VTL flight! In any case, no time to do TCM soon enough...

I had tongue ulcers so no idea how the nose fared *.*

16) Friday, 26 Nov 2021
$215.15

Think this last acupuncture session was especially long. Had a chat with the doctor about drinking different soups in different seasons. She gave me 20 days of medicine and that was it.

I had two episodes of runny nose - one right after the session likely due to the cold acupuncture room, and one after Sito came home likely due to me being not used to aircon after seven weeks without!

Took my last pack of medicine on 16 Dec. It was such a relief not to take any more medicine the next day!!!

But I had another episode of runny nose over the weekend. Felt more like a cold than allergy or flu. These days, I'm wearing my jacket when watching TV at night even without aircon, and take it off only when I'm ready to sleep in my warm duvet... Will monitor this and see if I need medical attention for this chronic runny nose...

No comments:

Post a Comment