Monday 8 April 2024

Buzzwords

Sus

INFORMAL
adjective: giving the impression that something is questionable or dishonest; suspicious.

That was the first thing I got when I keyed "define sus" in all-knowing Google.

Scrolled further and I saw that this word was popularised by the game Among Us and TikTok. I don't play that game, I don't use TikTok. Yes, quite a dinosaur coz apparently kids these days are well acquainted with the term.

In fact, my kids - and I'm sure others' too - took it beyond the above definition to refer to sexual stuff. But that's a separate story altogether which I may or may not write about in future. Yeah, I'm sus too. Am I? Am I using "sus" correctly??

I've had random thoughts about buzzwords for some time. It began years back when I first heard Kai say "easy peasy lemon squeezy" in preschool. It took me a while to realise that's the current generation's version of sap sap sui.

There's also "liar liar pants on fire". Sounds so civilised. But "cut queue, barbeque, never say thank you" is less so though still way better than Hokkien expletives involving private parts *.*

Actually, many of the buzzwords and playground rhymes over 30 years ago, from an expression to scolding people, from games to even learning, include or evolve from one dialect or another. Off hand, I can remember "ABC, kiap cai char loti..." - this doesn't bear continuing but it's to scold people :p

But recently, I wonder if the English-speaking kids in my time used totally different buzzwords from the Chinese/dialect-speaking kids like me. 

This came about when Sito and I were talking about similar triangles while one of us was marking Kai's paper, and I mentioned the auntie with big feet who taught us trigonometry - TOA CAH SOH. What a surprise I had when I learnt that Sito did not learn trigo from this auntie! If you look here, you have to agree that Hokkien is the way to go man!

Anyway, it's for sure that my kids will not understand or appreciate the buzzwords I used to hear. Maybe they may at a later point in time. Maybe TOA CAH SOH very soon. Maybe. But now, I get that most things will be "sus".

My boys - too bright to be sus?


Did I use that word correctly??

No comments:

Post a Comment