Monday 15 April 2024

Love-hate relationship with books

My early years were not accompanied by books. I remember reading Mother's pregnancy books - in Chinese. There was nothing else. 

I discovered the library at eight years old and never looked back. Back then, each cardholder could borrow up to four books. So I devoured 20 kiddy books every three weeks. This reduced as my siblings wanted to borrow their own books and as I progressed to wordier books.

I read a lot in my school years. I was reading a Nancy Drew book while waiting for a PSLE paper and a nasty girl commented that people were revising. Hello, I wasn't disturbing you and I was done with revision. Happy to score better than her, ha!

In secondary school, CY and I met every two weeks or so to go to the library (and eat at KFC and window-shop at the emporium). By then, I had graduated from endless fairy tales and Nancy Drew, to Agatha Christie and Danielle Steel.

I was still reading in JC despite higher academic demands. GP lessons in year 1 - what is the meaning of life? Discuss - were a great time to read Jin Yong, haha! 

I continued to read after leaving school. I remember going from my relief teaching work to scholarship interview with a book in my hand and referring to the book during the interview! 

I had way less time in university coz I must also play (and study). But I still managed to read all the David Eddings books after a recommendation from a schoolmate. 

When I started working, I still went to the library for books. But as work consumed me, it was sporadic. I think I only read Harry Potter and Jeffrey Archer. And I confessed I probably watched more drama in Evanston than read books.

After kids, I rarely read hardcopy books; it was mostly ebooks on Libby or online novels. More convenient and I can choose bigger fonts!

Most recently, I finished The Clifton Chronicles on Libby - seven books - in 13 days. It made me realised - again - that I can be really obsessive. Really 没日没夜地读!Apart from mandatory work like with the kids, cooking and toilet cleaning, I did nothing else but read. The same thing happened with the many books I read in the past few years.

I have decided that I shall not pick up a book for the next year. Else I'll leave too many things undone! Like I really wanted to finish up some butter by making cinnamon rolls but I must read. I wanted to cook something different but need to research and I must read. I wanted to sort out memorabilia but I must read.

Really, I love reading for the stories of the lives of many different characters but hate it for missing out of my own life. Conflict...

PS: I realised I wrote a bit about reading before. Again, I wish the kids would read more age-appropriate books...

No comments:

Post a Comment