Tuesday 26 April 2011

Is your work your passion?

We had a Coffee Wars yesterday at advertising strategy class. Two teams represented Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts to sell their respective coffee. To kick it off, Prof prepared a short clip, complete with "Rucker Production" based on 20th Century Fox and the Star Wars opening crawl.

In his words:

"This is what you do when you love teaching, you have tenure and you have time."

Coincidentally, just yesterday morning, I was rather unhappy for the nth time and thought perhaps it was time to consider no-pay leave again. So I dropped a note to a friend and colleague to check some stuff.

Then today, I received a note from the same friend and colleague that tipped me over the fence. So comes July, I should gain about 21 hours a week. But from now until then, I'm going to spend more time filing important emails from the past seven years *.*

I wonder when I'll find work that I love again. I used to love work and working, and I had such a fulfilling time. Then, the work began to get dull, and working began to take a toll on my personal life.

I had thought - wrongly - that the most recent assignment was a chance for me to love work and working again. I mean, what's not to like about doing social media stuff and part-time! Unfortunately, there is one other attribute - remote office, which makes it difficult to chase people and difficult to keep up to date with work happenings. We have tried but it isn't working. Oh well.

Sito just suggested I try to apply for management consulting. Well, maybe I will if I'm bored next time as a SAHM. But not now. I'll probably try to find a childcare centre that allows me to volunteer or sit in to observe their classes. Wish me luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment