Tuesday 25 December 2018

Our reading journey

The kiasu parent in me is stirring.

I saw friends' kids ranging from four to six who can read a whole book without pictures and/or write a passage in perfect English. Granted, these parents probably put in a lot of effort at home when we didn't.

Sometimes I thought I shouldn't worry too much coz hello, yours truly I didn't speak or read English until primary school. But then again, I could read Mother's pregnancy books in Chinese!

Kai wrote: Mama don't forget anything - in his words


I think the underlying issue is that Kai doesn't read much. I also don't read to him regularly enough. I hope it's not too late to start now.

So we started the books-for-stars thingy on 13 Dec 2018. For every book they read, they get a star. For every five stars, they get some kind of goodies. There are some T&Cs, like a parent must read with them, or they must do show-&-tell or answer comprehension questions, or no repeated books for Kai. And each library card expires in 14 days so they have to read at least one book every three days.

With this incentive, Kai is reading more now.  Hopefully, he will grow to enjoy reading so that reading is itself an incentive. At some point, I might have to change to chapters for Kai so he won't choose baby books to read.

Yang is reading more too. I can tell he is reading from memory but it's a good start. For those that he is not familiar with, he gets me to read line by line so that he can repeat after me.

Yu has always been reading, this dear boy. He comes to me with his fave two or three books each time. At one point, he read more than Kai! But the past weekend, he has been distracted so I'll try to pick up with him tomorrow.

So I have to prepare library cards every few days. When I was a child, I loved to take library books - we used to borrow 20 books every three weeks! - and pretend to scan the barcode using a covered pen or something, topped with a loud CHOP! with some random tool, just like how the librarians did it back then. Now, I really have to be a librarian!

Their first completed library cards


No comments:

Post a Comment