Wednesday 29 July 2020

Parent-teacher meetings

The mid-year parent-teachers meetings are over for all three kids. I'm happy to hear that they are all doing well though in varying degrees for both academic and social.

Unlike last year, I booked slots with only four of Kai's teachers instead of all. I forgot about it until his Chinese teacher called me, oops... All of them said Kai is a happy boy in school - am I glad to hear that! Coz he can be triggered at home - we're trying to address that so maybe talk more about it later..
  • Very happy to hear that he's a good example in Chinese class! We both agreed that building up his vocabulary would help him. I'm working in the right direction woohoo!
  • He's doing very well in Maths. I expressed concerns over his problem sums so his teacher gave me some tips - will work through with him!
  • He can work better with instructions in English class now, and has neat handwriting like Sito, but he tends to make careless mistakes. I'm glad I've already starting to look into his comprehension. His teacher also noted that he is quite selective about his friends, hmm...
  • He remains not very well coordinated, according to his PE teacher :p But he isn't bothered by whether he did well. When I checked in with him, I realised that they were all doing individual exercises during PE now due to COVID-19. So there's no win-lose situation. When team sports resume, I'll check on him again...
  • His PE teacher also observed that he could not occupy himself before assembly instead of disturbing others *.* He did tell me before that he liked drawing in the morning.
So we did had our first online art lesson a couple of weeks ago :)


Yang had raving reviews from his teachers. In short, he's ready for primary one! In long:
  • He can read long sentences now :) But his handwriting is not nice, like mine!
  • He's very good in Maths too!
  • He can speak a lot of Mandarin with his Chinese teacher and has good pronunciation! Yes, he recited short stories to me sometimes :)
  • He's super rowdy with three other boys in his class *.* But great, it's easy for him to make friends!
  • He is picky about food and can take a long time to finish his food. I told his teacher to just clear his plate at the end of lunch time if he still hasn't finished, AND be sure to not give him extra serving of tea later. Have to take the same stance at home and in school. 
He's been coming home with drawings and little notes in Chinese, like this - awww...


Yu is also a dear in school. But the one thing that stuck with me right now is that his English teacher of almost two years is leaving this month :( He told me he likes the new teacher after three days with her, so ok la... Kids are heartless and will forget people soon enough - our of sight, out of mind!
  • He knows his phonics and ABC, and can say long sentences :)
  • His Chinese teacher started with him only from this year and with the circuit breaker, she didn't have much opportunity to observe him. But he's speaking Mandarin with her, which is great!
  • He has a group of friends - all girls, three of them, hoho!
  • He's not picky about food, takes green bean soup and even yam cake! My local baby :)
We made this card for his teacher - nice?


No comments:

Post a Comment