Friday 24 February 2006

All the teh and kopi talk

Suddenly recall something I wanted to write a while ago. Couple of weeks back, Tok sent an email to KLK about Singlish. I didn't have time to read the long page but my attention was drawn to "Ordering at a coffee shop". All my life, I stay right above one but have no idea what all the terms below mean! I'm the kind who orders "ice tea no sugar no milk" instead of teh peng kosong, which I learnt rather recently :p Anyway, I still have questions, in italics.. Enlighten me if you will..

Ordering at a coffee shop:
Teh - (Hokkien) Tea (mf: with condensed milk??)
Teh-O - (Hokkien) Tea without milk (mf: but with sugar??)
Teh-C - (Hokkien) Tea with evaporated milk. The C here means the
"Carnation" brand of evaporated milk. (mf: never knew about the C..)
Teh-Peng - (Hokkien) Tea with ice. (mf: um, with/without condensed/evaporated milk??)
Teh-Poh - Weak or thin tea. (mf: with less condensed/evaporated milk??)
Teh-packet or Teh-pao - Tea to go. (mf: I suppose I can choose any kind of tea!)
Kopi - (Hokkien) Coffee
Kopi-O - (Hokkien) Coffee without milk
Kopi-C - (Hokkien) Coffee with evaporated milk. The C here means the
"Carnation" brand of evaporated milk.
Kopi-Peng - (Hokkien) Coffee with ice.
Kopi-packet or Kopi-pao - Coffee to go.
Kopi-gao - Thick coffee.
Kopi-poh - Weak or thin coffee.
Kopi-siu-dai - Coffee with less sugar.

And, I must add my fav: kosong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment