Saturday 25 February 2006

The days gone by..

Well, just the past three days :p

Went for my second session with the clinical trial chaps on Wed. As usual, did the skin prick and urine test. Three new things:

1) Blood test: The doc tried a spot on my right arm just above where my GP drew blood couple of weeks back. But after the needle went in, the vein disappeared! He gave up after 5min to try the wrist where veins were more obvious. After another 5min, I decided to look and saw only about 1ml of blood in the syringe. The team decided it was hopeless too. So I did other tests before I was saved from further futile attempts by another doc who passed by; he succeeded in drawing 10ml on my other wrist without using the tiny syringe - they called it butterfly, for babies! - they were preparing to use. The first two attempts left two bruises on me *.* Funny was that, I think the doc who poked two holes in me for nothing seemed more traumatised than me!

2) Some nose cavity test: Each nostril was covered by this tube in turn, think sound waves or something were used to determine the size of the empty space inside. Did this twice, once before and once after the below..

3) Nasal challenge: Just like the name implies! The prof squirted allergens directly into my nostrils and within two seconds, I started sneezing and for the next 5min, I sneezed about twenty times, with most within the first 3min - they kept count!

Started on the medicine on Thurs, so far so good.. Praying hard that I'm in the treatment group!

Now to Thurs before a meeting started. I went up to chat with this colleague I hadn't seen for a while and she suddenly said, "Are you pregnant? When did you get married??"

!!!

No I'm not pregnant, and no I'm not married!

(Btw, I learnt recently that single mums, ie unmarried, excluding divorced or widowed, are not entitled to the three months of maternity leave..)

Can't imagine my shock and disgust and disappointment upon hearing that?? I know I put on visible weight lately, I know my short hair doesn't help slim my face, but looking pregnant?! Ok la, to be fair to my colleague, I was wearing my big ugly office jacket over a punjabi suit. But that was one huge wake-up call man..

There was a similar incident one day in 1999 when I walked past Mother on my way in, just back from a buffet dinner. She went, "You look pregnant.. Haha!" That was about the time I started putting on weight after leaving JC, also about the time when I became more conscious of my tummy..

I must map out a fitness plan and ACT ON IT! (And steer clear of the pineapple tarts Mother is making now..)

A thought came to me yesterday: some people who are obviously capable can be so ignorant in using simple tools like ppt, word, and even phone directory! There are some obscure IT stuff - like mapping network drive - that I help out where I can but simple things like printing ppt notes page?! I don't understand! And I actually allow myself to be bombarded with "how do you print this?" and "what's ABC's number?" (for the nth time - can't you just take it down?!)

End of grumbles, now to an exciting part. Had to staff a lunch function yesterday and on the way there, the five of us girls were talking about one of the guests who was the grandson of this tycoon, youngest of all the guests. But we all had no idea how he looked like. Then, he arrived. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I spoke to a cute guy, even though it was just "hi, you are?" :p But later as an observer in the discussion, I realised that he wasn't super cute; he just had that focused look in his eyes that spelt purpose. We were, or at least I was, sufficiently impressed.

Had to get my camera back from YX in the evening cos I wanted to take pictures of my neighbourhood today. Safety barriers etc are starting to make this place unrecognisable! Was supposed to go to Altivo with the seniors but ended up at Loof with YX etc. The place was amazingly full of familiar faces! Knew them at different occasions but now many of them were working at the same place; we are a small community!

Escaped when it got way too stuffy. Had supper with YX, JD and new friend Chris at TCC at Cineleisure until it closed. Conversation among four of us the whole night seemed to hover about homosexuality. YX and JD seemed particularly prone to it! Be careful, guys.. If maternity leave doesn't apply to single mums, I don't see how it can apply to you, heh! :p

Oh also talked about MBTI. They thought I was extroverted. So did others according to my Johari window. But going by definition of I and E in MBTI, I'm actually more I! And it isn't cos I'm narcissistic! For proof, read this.. Wikipedia has become my new pet site..

That wasn't the end of last night. Received an sms before I went to bed, guy friend (identity protected) went for a full body massage and had to strip to nothing. The therapist was in his thirties and rubbed EVERYWHERE. You can guess my immediate thought, I'm sure :p I'm curious: will a heterosexual guy (not nec homophobic) react due to touch or will he not cos it's a male therapist? Friend said it should be a body reaction, ie physiological not sexual.. Makes sense. But if it is a female therapist, well well!

1 comment:

  1. You're huggable, def not fat. Too bad if some don't realise it ;) - zain

    ReplyDelete