Saturday 25 February 2006

Tribal workers

Today's generation of high-earning professionals maintain that their personal fulfilment comes from their jobs and the hours they work. They should grow up, says Thomas Barlow.

Came across this
FT article of above title, parts of which resonate with me. Some rough thoughts below:

We are children of a different generation from our parents and their parents before them. We are of a generation with more education opportunities available to almost anyone. Education may not be all but it cannot be dismissed; it paves the way to some degree of upward social mobility.

In the past, people struggled with bread and butter issues to bring up child after child; today, people strive to provide enrichment lessons/ activities for their child outside school curriculum time. In the past, people did whatever they could do because they did not have much choice; today, people do not necessary do whatever they could do because they have too many choices. In the past, people were happy if their jobs could provide for their family; today, people may not be happy with a high-paying job if it does not give a sense of fulfilment.

Since we are enabled with options, it has hence become natural that we are faced with a problem of a different nature: we have difficult deciding on the best exit out of a mega roundabout in the road of life, and any of these endless exits will likely lead us to yet another such roundabout. (Generic "we" here; I don't see myself with that many options.. yet? :p)

We no longer want a job that pays for a lovely house and the latest car but forces eight or more unsatisfying hours on us every day. We do not want to be empty shells sleeping in that perfect house, driving that fastest car. Abundancy has bred a different form of discontentment.

Yes, jobs may not - or should I say, should not - be the sole activity that gives fulfilment to life; personal relationships like family should. But it is necessary that we work so I think it makes sense to make a lifestyle option out of a job since we (well, most of us) spend at least 8hours at work.

But, as the author says, we have to take care not to be disillusioned into believing that working long hours equate fulfilment. It isn't a matter of good or bad; it's simply sad!

"It's as though he was validated, or making his life important by this (working long hours)"

While I know that working longer hours won't affect my pay, I (and many colleagues) do that often - mostly Mon, Tue, Thu and sometimes Fri -; I enjoy working more than coming back to this house to find nothing satisfying. It is not that I feel important at work, but my work does present learning opportunities that can help better me. And I want a better me. But this article made me wonder if I'm using work to fill the void from my lack of 1) personal space, 2) (immediate) family life, 3) bf.

Nothing is valued so highly as accumulated experience. Nothing is neglected so much as commitment.

The article describes some people who would rather give up committing to a relationship cos "loneliness is better than boredom". I'm tempted to agree. At this point in my life, I still could suffer loneliness, but boredom out of the mouth of a 20-something in the prime of her life just seems so unforgivable!

This should be my least fluffy work in a long time! Realised that I like to engage myself in things like this, though I could not hold such attention for too long :p Had a great time earlier today over MSN with SY and CY, discussing the article and its relevance, in general and to us. It beats mundane leisure like movies or shopping any day. But anyway, I combed half of Holland V this pm with IS :p Yet another happy Sat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment