Monday 8 August 2011

The pursuit of happiness

This article is pretty funny.

"our idea of happiness is so screwed up that most of us wouldn't recognize the real thing if we saw it"

Wa liao...

I was watching "家, N次方" last week, and a character said that the hidden meaning behind the saying "rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle" was that the girl who would rather cry in a BMW was unlikely to smile on a bicycle anyway.

Think I've said somewhere here before, happiness is a choice. But now I'm thinking that maybe it's (also) nature. If you're predisposed to happiness, I guess nothing will make you feel overall unhappy. If you're predisposed to grouchiness, nothing can make you feel overall happy.

I think I'm predisposed to happiness. But it's not that I don't get unhappy, ever. There is happiness, the overall state. There is happiness, the current state. I accept that I cannot be happy 24/7. Like now, while writing this, I feel neither happy nor unhappy. But I look out of the window, it's bright and sunny - it makes me happy. Then I think about our Angel Baby and I'm sad. Now I zoom out of myself, I look at my life as a whole - I have a family, I have my bare necessities and a little more, I am overall happy.

But if I really want to "see" happiness, well, I've fluffed about little things that make me happy a few years ago. Just re-read it and much of it stays the same except:

7) Daydreaming - about my room, my desired weight, my prince..?
10) Strolling back from office - me time!
11) Sweating it out on Saturday mornings - in the park, not with some handsome stranger unfortunately, but still happy :p the treadmill

No comments:

Post a Comment