Friday 28 October 2005

Affirmation

Quite recently, Kel and I were talking about how a lack of affirmation in growing years could cause low self esteem, diffidence in personal abilities and potential etc. Often, the typical conservative "Asian", or to be in my context, (SG) Chinese upbringing tries to "humble" or improve the child with criticism but neglects to compliment. In fact, some degree of agreement, even tolerance, will do just well; compliments are a bonus.

No time or mind to dwell more on this, just thank Kel for bearing me and for telling me I'll be chirpy again - think it helps :)

1 comment:

  1. While I agree that childhood experiences/environments have a deeply etched impact on our adult lives, I believe that when you are mature enough to live your own lives and make your own decisions, they are but challenges that can be overcomed.

    Hiding one's inabilities behind the facade of "childhood trauma" is just a convenient excuse for those who are too weak to take control of their own lives.

    If I am coming on too strongly it's totally intentional because I would like all my dear friends to know that it's possible to do so. Let's speak more on this at a better time and place. ;)

    ReplyDelete