Monday 3 October 2005

Sudden awareness

We seem to have taken it for granted that we can leave our handbags on the desk and our mobiles in plain sight; I don't carry my 6610 - oh, it's Samsung now - when I go downstairs to pack lunch. And sometimes I leave my Ixus and portable hdd in my drawer, unlocked. Heck, I don't even chain my laptop to the table leg!

I've worked here for a month shy of two years (so fast?!) and never thought much about this until a minute ago when a colleague went around telling us to keep our valuables properly cos a new cleaner had replaced the old friendly auntie who quitted last Fri.

"We don't know her yet, and she is Indian."

Fine if we're not friendly with her yet, but I wonder how much her race contributes to this warning - has all multi-racial talk failed at microscopic levels, or do people tend to guard against other races only if they are in the lower economic brackets?

1 comment:

  1. I think her warning is more related to her being new. When she came to me, she told similar message minus the race part.

    ReplyDelete