Tuesday 25 October 2005

With grace

Was happy last Wed when boss LH commended on my presentation to the big boss. Yesterday, I had another one at a bigger forum but I was speaking too fast - think it came out like I was nervous. Or worse, ill-prepared. Not too happy about it but at least - I've checked - I didn't miss out any point.

*small pat on the back*

I still get the nerves before a presentation but I've trained myself to be calm when speaking, simply by seeing presentations as a performance and my bosses, my audience; if I have sung and will be dancing to an audience (including judges), what is speech??

Yet, speech is the most difficult of all. Without the steady rhythm of accompanying music, I have a tendency to talk too fast and I have to consciously tell myself to start slow and keep slow. Otherwise, I'll stumble on my words, and THAT is what will get me nervous.. Imagine, screwed by my own words!

I shall do it as Kel says: with grace.

Update 27 Oct 05

Boss HK gave us feedback on our presentations on Monday:
1) Don't talk so fast! - mf also says *.*
2) Give the context/background
* These two points are important, especially to cate to those who do not read papers beforehand..
3) Minimise use of acronyms
4) Maintain some eye contact
5) Visualise proposals in slides - relating more to contents

mf must learn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment