Friday 14 October 2005

Simple life

The office emptied early yesterday; by 715pm, there was only me. I felt peaceful, there were no weird noises, perfect for work! But I couldn't, not with Mdm Longevity Ulcer nagging at me every minute. Losing three wisdom teeth only meant more gum for ulcers to find their spots. Apparently my gum is very comfortable; this ulcer is an overstayer - 8 days old!

Anyway, I decided to up and go, taking with me my Elle trolley bag I bought a couple of weeks ago at the last Isetan sale - I reached there by 9am, queued and paid for it in 20min flat! Got to work at ten that day :p Well, point is I needed a cab.

As my cab turned into the carpark of my precinct - now I must explain that I seldom take this route back; I'll usually drop at the main road and climb a flight of stairs to my block, but with the bag, I had to drop right at my block last night.. Ok, nvm the geography! - we passed by the market area.

An uncle was holding his baby's hand and pointing at the passing cars; an auntie walked by with bags of post-dinner groceries; families were strolling back home after their chicken rice and fried kway tiao at the hawker centre. It was dark and the lights from the flats could be seen as my cab cruised through the carpark. I imagined that if I were walking back from the market, I would hear bits of conversation from the flats on the lower floors.

I cannot recall the last time I walked that road.

Perhaps I'm quite tired these days. Like YX said this morning, my scheduled seemed too packed..

Sometimes I want nothing more than to wake up 7-ish - without an alarm clock and yet I'll only laze in bed just long enough to give my bedmates a morning kiss.. Then I'll walk to the kitchen windows, take a few full breaths of the morning air, put that no-one's-looking-at-me smile on my bed-face, (check out the noodle delivery man - I stay just above the coffee shop) and all the time, morning sounds are floating around me: the shrill chirp of happy sparrows, the scary cries of big black crows, the low growls from the delivery vans, the general sounds of ordinary people waking up..

Then, it's pee time! :p

I always open the front door in the morning, I like it brighter and it'll allow more air to pass through the house, refreshing the indoors and chasing the night away once and for all! There's a bridge right outside my block leading into the secondary school across the road. The site used to be my primary school, which is now on the other side of the main road. Some school renewal thing. So instead of tiny white shirts and navy blue bottoms, I now see bigger light blue uniforms doing their student things.

If the weather is kind, maybe I'll consider a jog. *Pause* Ok, let's say I decide to jog! I know it'll take me about 45min to get to the park, jog one round, and get back. But on such a lovely morning I'll take a detour to the market on the way back for my century egg porridge, jostling with the aunties doing their morning shopping and watching everyone go about their everyday business. It's not my everyday activity though.

When I'm back, my bet is everyone will still be sleeping and I'll still have the house to myself. Some music will be good to go with my porridge. I haven't tuned in to 933 for a long time now; current mobile doesn't have a tuner. I'll plan my day as I have my breakfast as I have no appointments today.

Fully cooled down from my jog, it's time to perspire again as I iron my clothes, again to the sound of music. By now, Mother should have woken up to get her newspaper and groceries. She may start to nag at how noisy I am with the ironing board, or she may walk out without a word but come back chirping. But I'll iron on and pepper the mainly one-sided conversation with my "uh-huhs"; don't mind humouring her a bit since I'm in the mood.

I should shower after the ironing but perhaps there are more things to do. Like tidying up the altar where I keep my watch and hair clips etc, rearranging my bags a bit, wiping the dust off my shoes and washing some if necessary, etc. Shower now? Not yet.. By then my guess is that MZ will have woken up as well, and it'll be noisy with her tv. I'll wash my face and retreat to my little corner next to the telephone, at the edge of the living room near the kitchen.

There on the tiny table rests my trusty lappy from eons back, when broadband was free and super fast and when I could stay in front of the comp for hours in my comfy padded chair. But no, today I'm on my pink stool from Ikea with my lappy doing its job - on my lap, and I'll start to perspire as the comp heats up. See, no point for a shower right? :p There is usually no one around on MSN in the morning, especially if it's a Sat morning. But it's a good time for me to blog and check my emails - ya, that's basically all I can do online now cos I'm on freaking modem!

I'll ransack the fridge at some point for ingredients for my pasta lunch - it must be a pasta lunch; I'm desperate to re-enact my life in Oxford.. I'll cook myself a simple dish with meatballs, olive oil, pepper and herbs. I may re-watch an episode of some VCD as I have my lunch, or I'll look through my digi photos.

Post-lunch slump. I think I want to sing! :) But it's tough to sing for long cos Mother will nag nag NAG! So I guess I'll go back to comp, do a bit of work - have no idea what else to do! Gee, I crave for a free day like this and yet have nothing to do??!

I conjure up an interesting paperback. Ok I have something to do now - I can read the afternoon away. Totally engrossed in my book, I won't notice that the sun has started to set until it's almost gone or until I notice the orange light of the setting sun on this bit of the wall - think we get this light only half the year or something but I'm not sure when. Sometimes I find that sunsets can be depressing..

On a typical day, Mother will cook dinner. But I'm in the mood. I'll suggest that we go to the market instead, just for once. Nothing fancy, just something hot and yummy, nevermind the salt or cholestrol contents for once. Zips bursting, we'll go shopping at Ang Mo, the neighbourhood version of NTUC, for toiletries, snacks, bread for tomorrow, and how about ice cream for the night is warm?

"Since you're here, let's buy 5kg of rice!"

Huh??! Fine lor, mf = free labour! I remember we used to lug a 10kg sack until Mother realised that two sacks of rice were much much easier to handle! Nowadays, we seldom eat in so one sack is enough to last quite a while.

Tired, it's time for a shower - yes, finally! I'm so gross, haha! After that, I'll just snug up to my bedmates with my book or my fav CD until it's time to rest for the day..

*Dreamy*

Suddenly feel like cancelling all my outings and taking leave for the next week..

1 comment:

  1. Ha. Sounds like u're a bit burnt out. Or mayb u're juz missing life in Oxford. Ur entry reminded me of the wks I spent in Europe, waking up to the cold crisp air, breathing it in, tiptoe across the room so that I won't wake my rm mates up. It's funny how it's always the simple things in life that you miss so much.

    ReplyDelete